Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2005/06/14 12:41:31 UTC

[OT] Configuration of 5 country sites and 1 web application base

Dear List,

I'm after some external advice on how best to configure Tomcat and our web application.

The web application is intended to run 5 international country web sites. The code base is aware of its need to run different sites, and uses various parameters in calling backend services to acquire the relvant content for page building and so on.

We will be running each website with its own country domain, e.g

www.domain.co.uk
www.domain.com

as well as wishing to run subdomains

sub.domain.co.uk
sub.domain.com

The question is, is it better to run 1 web application to serve all these sites, or would you run each site as a separate web application and configure the build process appropriately.

Being able to bring down 1 particular site is the main benefit I can see for separate web applications, whereas more centralised configuration may be a benefit for 1 web application.

I'd really like to hear your opinions if you do the same thing or have thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance, Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474

Re: [OT] Configuration of 5 country sites and 1 web application base

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
If the functionality is the same for all the sites and only the parameters
are different, then one webapp makes sense. This will be acceptable if the
same people control the look and functionality for all 5 domains/sites. If
different parties have a decision in look/functionality of each site (even if
the underlying functionality is the same) - it might be better to use
multiple webapps. Or ...  reexamine your URL space (the path part) in such a
way that it is feasible to go from one webapp to multiple webapps without
affecting any URLS. In that case, you can start with one webapp - but if the
functionality diverges, you can refactor to a common base (if not already
done in phase 1) and then let each webapp customize as needed.

-Tim