Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/04 19:55:38 UTC

Jira permissions

Whilst I'm waiting for my SVN account to be set up I thought I'd have a
go at doing a couple of the unassigned examples:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-342 - would it be possible
for someone to add the necessary permissions to my Jira account to
assign issues to myself? My Jira username is jgallimore.

Cheers

Jon

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks for your help, Jacek.

Jon

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've done OPENEJB-343 (a added a patch to the issue), and I thought I'd do
> OPENEJB-345 next.

Done. Have fun!

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> At last, I've got it! OpenEJB uses Interactive Permissions scheme:
>
> This permissions model differs from the Standard Permissions model in
> that people in the Contributor role must interact with the dev list to
> get to get issues assigned to them and issues closed. This isn't a
> trust issue, more that there are a few benefits. 1. Active
> contributors hitting the list to begin and end work shows other people
> not yet active how to get involved. 2. Adds more "touch points"
> between Contributors and Committers. It should be possible to "see"
> the active contributors even if you are not watching the JIRA or SVN
> notifications. It's also hoped that the practice of announcing your
> intentions on the dev list will persist even when the Contributor
> becomes a Committer. 3. Gives Committers the opportunity to help,
> mentor or otherwise get the Contributor going in the right direction
> before a task is started; potentially resulting in fewer rejected
> patches, less waisted Contributor time, and more collaborative
> development. 4. Overall brings more communication to the dev list
> before all work is done and all decisions made giving more potential
> to collaboration.
>
> and Assign Issues and Assignable User are those who are assigned
> Committers or Contributors. Contributors are those who can be
> Assignable User only. You've got Contributors role so you are not
> allowed to assign issues to yourself. I'll have to do it myself (or
> other committer) until you've got your svn account set up. Ping
> dblevins.

That all sounds good to me, its nice to know the thinking behind the
permissions.
> Let us know what issue you'd like to be working on and they'll be yours.

I've done OPENEJB-343 (a added a patch to the issue), and I thought I'd
do OPENEJB-345 next.

Many thanks

Jon

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacek,

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Jonathan Gallimore
> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When looking at an issue, I have the following options: Resolve Issue,
>> Attach File, Attach screenshot, Clone, Comment, Edit, Link, Convert to
>> issue/sub-issue, Voting, and Watching. I've tried the edit and resolve
>> options, but neither give me the option to set the assignee. Anybody able to
>> give me any pointers?
>>

> Ah, it's likely because you're in openejb-contributors so no way to
> assign issues to yourself. You did sent your ICLA, didn't you? Do you
> have your account set up? (will have to find the page of Jim's where
> all ICLAs are listed).
My ICLA is in (and showing on
http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html), but it looks like my SVN
account hasn't been set up yet (David has sent a request off for it).
> Unless it's already done so I could assign you
> to openejb-developers you'll have to tell us what issue you want to
> work on and I'll make it yours. Deal?

I'm currently doing OPENEJB-343, and thought I'd do some of the other
samples with descriptors as they can be used to test the annotations
feature of the plugin.

Thanks

Jon

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When looking at an issue, I have the following options: Resolve Issue,
> Attach File, Attach screenshot, Clone, Comment, Edit, Link, Convert to
> issue/sub-issue, Voting, and Watching. I've tried the edit and resolve
> options, but neither give me the option to set the assignee. Anybody able to
> give me any pointers?

Ah, it's likely because you're in openejb-contributors so no way to
assign issues to yourself. You did sent your ICLA, didn't you? Do you
have your account set up? (will have to find the page of Jim's where
all ICLAs are listed). Unless it's already done so I could assign you

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks for that Jacek. I am a little stuck though - I'm not sure if
there's an additional role I need, or whether there's a link I missed or
something, but I can't figure out how to assign issues to myself.

Re: Jira permissions

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.