Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Hong Wu <xu...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/07 09:49:49 UTC

Push Lantency Problem of Large Commits

Hi,

Ed <https://github.com/edespino> and I met a problem after pushing into
upstream(https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-hawq.git
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgit-wip-us.apache.org%2Frepos%2Fasf%2Fincubator-hawq.git&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH3sTQDluqH3IN-wW9DCnMU8LcMvg>)
with a large commit(we removed the thrift library inside hawq codebase
since it contains many unregulated binary files).

The problem is that after pushing this commit, the commit did not show up
in github. Firstly, since github remote(github.com/apache/incubator-hawq.git)
is a mirror repo of git://git.apache.org/incubator-hawq.git , we regard it
reasonable to wait some time to sync. But we tried to pull/fetch from
upstream(not github remote), we could not get any updates which is strange.
I want to know what is going on during this stage? And does some one know
the actual pipeline of a push to an apache project?

After maybe 10 plus hours, the commit showed up in github. If this is an
expected lantency, I also wonder whether this could influence the following
commits(might be smaller commits)?

Best
Hong

Re: Push Lantency Problem of Large Commits

Posted by Ed Espino <ee...@pivotal.io>.
Hong, you captured our dilemma we encountered quite succinctly.  As Paul
indicated, it might be worth asking on the infrastructure list to get some
additional insight on the delayed syncing from the official Apache
repository to the GitHub mirror.

-=e

--
*Ed Espino*
*Director, Pivotal Technical Staff*

Re: Push Lantency Problem of Large Commits

Posted by Paul Guo <pa...@gmail.com>.