Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Shawn McMurdo <sh...@lutris.com> on 2000/03/21 17:12:25 UTC

XML Parsers

Is anyone interested in having the XML parser
(currently ProjectX) pluggable?
Alternatively, is anyone interested in using Xerces
instead of ProjectX?
We modified 3.0 to use Xerces.
It's a "least code changes" method rather than a
"best architecture" method.
Since Xerces is apparently the future of XML parsing
for Apache and combines xml4j and projectx, is it
desirable to just use Xerces as an interim step until
it is pluggable?
Anyone have any thoughts on this topic or is interested
in the changes to use Xerces?
Shawn

--
Shawn McMurdo              mailto:shawn@lutris.com
Lutris Technologies        http://www.lutris.com

Re: XML Parsers

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.

Shawn McMurdo wrote:

> Is anyone interested in having the XML parser
> (currently ProjectX) pluggable?
> Alternatively, is anyone interested in using Xerces
> instead of ProjectX?
> We modified 3.0 to use Xerces.
> It's a "least code changes" method rather than a
> "best architecture" method.
> Since Xerces is apparently the future of XML parsing
> for Apache and combines xml4j and projectx, is it
> desirable to just use Xerces as an interim step until
> it is pluggable?
> Anyone have any thoughts on this topic or is interested
> in the changes to use Xerces?
> Shawn

I agree.   As long as Tomcat is constrained to using only the
methods/interfaces os JAXP, any parser should be usable.
Since we have a slight divergence of purposes of Tomcat:
1.  To provide a standard implementation (xml.jar)
2.  To provide an Apache solution (xerces.jar)
making the parser "pluggable" would be excellent.

Since in SAX, the only normal way to hardcode an
implementation is by using a factory and a class name,
being able to override the class name (in a .properties file)
should be easy.  Besides, it would also leverage on
the Sun/IBM cooperation that is so well exemplified here.

So.....  maybe if you could send in the diffs, the Committers
might make the changes  ;-)

Bob

RE: XML Parsers

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
Pluggable please - that would be so cool.

I'm currently using Xerces for everything except Tomcat, and having to keep
xml.jar in the classpath (when loading Tomcat) often leads to unusual
problems,

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com