Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/15 22:18:22 UTC

Planning to do an Aries Subsystems release soon

Hi all,

As the OSGi R6 Subsystems implementation is now merged into trunk I
was thinking of doing a subsystems release soon, possibly later this
week.

Previously we released the following artifacts:
  subsystem-api
  subsystem-core
  subsystem-obr
  subsystem-bundle

I don't think it makes sense to release subsystem-obr as OBR now
implements the Repository spec so this proprietary integration is not
needed any more. I would actually propose to remove this bundle.

On the subsystem-bundle (artifact ID org.apache.aries.subsystem). Does
anybody actually use this? It seems like this is the same as
subsystem-core and subsystem-api merged. I don't think there is a need
for this bundle, so I would propose to remove it too.

Final topic is the version number. Exported packages use semantic
versioning, no question about that but how will we version the
released bundles?
a) subsystem-api 1.2.0 and subsystem-core 1.3.0?
b) subsystem-api 2.0.0 and subsystem-core 2.0.0?

I guess b) is more in line with the recent discussion about bulk
releasing components?

Cheers,

David

Re: Planning to do an Aries Subsystems release soon

Posted by Thomas Watson <tj...@us.ibm.com>.
Fine with me.

Tom

From:   David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>
To:     "dev@aries.apache.org" <de...@aries.apache.org>
Date:   06/22/2015 05:08 PM
Subject:        Re: Planning to do an Aries Subsystems release soon

Thanks Tom!

We are at 2.0.1 because I actually created and staged 2.0.0 and then
discovered that this bug had a patch ready to be applied. So even
before sending the vote email out I cancelled that release.

Personally I would prefer to simply move ahead to 2.0.1 and call the
release that (so there won't be a public 2.0.0), as that is simpler
from a maven-workflow pov. Unless anyone has a strong objection to
that...

Cheers,

David

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tom!

From:   David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>
To:     "dev@aries.apache.org" <de...@aries.apache.org>
Date:   06/18/2015 06:56 AM

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Planning to do an Aries Subsystems release soon

Posted by Kamesh Sampath <ka...@liferay.com>.
Hi David,

My 2c on "org.apache.aries.subsystem": lets have it and sem versioned inline with API as it allows the user to deploy one single bundle with API and Provider.

On version number I agree with your option (b) as that makes more sense.

-Kamesh