Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/06/07 03:19:08 UTC

proposal for new site

We've been talking about new site content for a while, so I threw
together a quick, simple site that uses velocity and simple xml-based
documents for content.

An example of what it looks like now is here :

http://people.apache.org/~geirm/geronimo/

I put into the geronimo svn repo under /site (parallel tree to /
trunk) so people can play with it.

I think I captured all the info from the current site.  The upside is
that it takes <10 seconds to fully generate, so adding content is a
breeze.

If I get lucky and there are no objections, I'd like to bring up as
the geronimo site ASAP, for a bunch of reasons.  It's more up to date
(and I'll keep working on it..) and has the logo for ApacheCon EU,
coming up, which we do need to advertise...

yes, right now it's ant based (just type "ant" and it will generate)
and has the dependencies in svn (not optimal).  We can convert to
maven if people really care and they want to go this direction.

Comments?

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
> Ok.  Will do that.  Want to keep helping?  :)

Sure!

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
That's why I stopped cross posting....

:)

geirm@apache.org

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
I hope you get a broadband connection then!

Have a good vacation

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
--- "GeirGeirnMagnusson" <geirgeirmcapache> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 2:37 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
> > I didn't mean to be the deciding vote,
>
> You weren't
>
> > I'd still like to know what others think.  We
> haven't heard from
> > very many people on this thread.
> >
> > Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion
> on the website,
> > what do you think?
> >
> > Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people
> privileged with
> > commit access.  Speak up :)

I will be vacationing in India for 2 months! If I
manage to get a braobroadband connection ( or a
reliable dial up), you will hear from me. Until then
Cheers
Anita

> It's out there.  Comments and patches appreciated.
> If people really
> don't like it, we rollback (easy to do) and then
> replace with the
> offered alternative :)
>
> geirgeir
> >
> > -David
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 01:57:53PM -0400,
GeirGeirMagnMagnusson wrote:

> >> Ok -Ok pushed it out.  When the servers syncsynch
> will be there.
> >>
> >> We need a more complete list of dependencies -
> and the intention
> >> isn't our dep dept, but rather the
> "collaboration" list.  We have a
> >> dep depclogging, for example, but I wouldn't
> consider that a
> >> collaboration.
> >>
> >> Also, I'll summarize the roadroadmapcussion and
> put that to the dev
dev>> list and then to the site...

> >> geirgeir>>

GeirGeirMagnMagnusson

> fully generate, so

> step in the right

> even as a temporary
> contribute to it - at
> get the ApacApacheCon

> can get fancy as

> >> --
> >> GeirGeirnMagnusson
>  +1-203-665-6437
> >> geirgeirmcapache
> >>

> --
> GeirGeirnMagnusson
> +1-203-665-6437
> geirgeirmcapache

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 6/9/05, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:

> > Yup, the maven2 site is actually a mix of APT and xdoc format.
>
> Nice.  APT is so easy to work with.  For those of you that haven't
> use it yet, here is a link:
>
> http://www.xmlmind.com/aptconvert.html

I second that. APT is extremely powerful yet very simple.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 00:04 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> So we can repurpose the xdoc material w/ m2?

Yup, the maven2 site is actually a mix of APT and xdoc format.

> (Meaning when we get
> over to m2, we can regen the site with that?)

Definitely. The only difference is the directory structure and there's a
site.xml file that's a little different then the navigation.xml but xdoc
files as is work in m2.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
So we can repurpose the xdoc material w/ m2?  (Meaning when we get

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 6/7/05, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:

> I didn't mean to be the deciding vote, I'd still like to know what others think.  We haven't heard from very many people on this thread.
>
> Hey everyone out there who has ever had an opinion on the website, what do you think?
>
> Again, I'm talking to everyone, not just people privileged with commit access.  Speak up :)

+1. It's highly important to have current information available to the
community. We can get more sophisticated later.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jun 6, 2005, at 10:03 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 6/6/2005 6:54 PM:

>>> Looks ok to me.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to generate those reports?
>>>

>> what reports?
>>

> The maven reports.  It's not a biggie, I just liked browsing them
> from time to time.

Oh right - wasn't sure - they aren't on our website right now.  Maybe
we can autogen and post them to to the site...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

geir@optonline.net

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

geir@optonline.net

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Brent Worden wrote:

> I noticed all the page title names are prefaced with "Velocity -".
> Is this
> a residual effect from using Velocity and can it be controlled?

Doh!  Fixed.  Thanks

geir@optonline.net

Re: proposal for new site

Posted by Brent Worden <br...@worden.org>.