Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/15 11:10:19 UTC

SCA 1.2.1 release

I've had a request to do an official release that includes the fix for
TUSCANY-2304. I think this is reasonable so would like to do this, it
shouldn't be too hard as its a small fix so its just copying the 1.2 release
tag, applying the fix, spinning the new release artifacts and voting. I know
we tried this before with 1.0.1 but that ended up with so much new  function
it made it harder to get out, if 1.2.1 is kept really focused I hope it
would be easier.  I'd like to start this off tomorrow if no one has any
objections, WDYT?

There was also a suggestion that maybe a fix for TUSCANY-2251 could get into
this, is that likely to be small and ready?

  ...ant

Re: SCA 1.2.1 release

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> I've had a request to do an official release that includes the fix for
> TUSCANY-2304. I think this is reasonable so would like to do this, it
> shouldn't be too hard as its a small fix so its just copying the 1.2 release
> tag, applying the fix, spinning the new release artifacts and voting. I know
> we tried this before with 1.0.1 but that ended up with so much new  function
> it made it harder to get out, if 1.2.1 is kept really focused I hope it
> would be easier.  I'd like to start this off tomorrow if no one has any
> objections, WDYT?
>
> There was also a suggestion that maybe a fix for TUSCANY-2251 could get into
> this, is that likely to be small and ready?
>
>   ...ant

The 2251 fix is close but it won't be ready by tomorrow.  It's also not
very small.  I am making steady progress with this every day, and I have
been in the "one last bug" mode for the last few days.  Experience tells
me that I'll need a good portion of a wet weekend to get this completed.
Saturday has rain in the forecast, so it's possible that I'll have
something by Monday :-)

   Simon

Re: SCA 1.2.1 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had a request to do an official release that includes the fix for
> TUSCANY-2304. I think this is reasonable so would like to do this, it
> shouldn't be too hard as its a small fix so its just copying the 1.2 release
> tag, applying the fix, spinning the new release artifacts and voting. I know
> we tried this before with 1.0.1 but that ended up with so much new  function
> it made it harder to get out, if 1.2.1 is kept really focused I hope it
> would be easier.  I'd like to start this off tomorrow if no one has any
> objections, WDYT?
>
> There was also a suggestion that maybe a fix for TUSCANY-2251 could get
> into this, is that likely to be small and ready?
>
>   ...ant

Ok probably doing this today was a little too short notice so how about
seeing what we have on Monday. I've created a Java-SCA-1.2.1 release in
JIRA, how about we add JIRAs with either patches or specific SVN revision
changes for everything we'd like considered for 1.2.1.

I really would like to keep this as small as possible though. Ideally there
can be a diff of the 1.2 and 1.2.1 tags which is just a screen or two long
so reviewing and voting is easy and we don't spend days or weeks work on
this. Module and pom.xml changes would scare me as its so easy to screw up
the distributions. If we can show this can fly through maybe then it will be
easier to do maintenance type releases more often so it becomes easier to
leave things out.

   ...ant

Re: SCA 1.2.1 release

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Mike Edwards wrote:
> For my 1 cent on this point.
>
> The BPEL code is still raw at this stage and I feel it could do with a
> few more tweaks before it is really ready for prime time - I certainly
> still have a lot of trouble getting it to work - and I'm working on it!!

I'm not familiar with the BPEL code but I do remember what happened
with 1.0.1 and I don't think we should repeat that experience.

If there are broken things causing serious impact to users for which
we already have a fix that's relatively small and localized, these
could be considered.  I'd expect there to be a very small list of
JIRAs falling into this category.

For new features, or bugs that are not causing serious user impact,
or things that need extensive code changes, or things that are not
fully ready and tested yet, I think we should defer them to the
next full release.

   Simon

Re: SCA 1.2.1 release

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.