Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/12/04 12:45:14 UTC

Any more CloudMonkey improvements you want to see?

Hi all,

We want to work on the next release of CloudMonkey do you have any
issues that we should fix, or any new feature you want? Thanks.

Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Any more CloudMonkey improvements you want to see?

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Rohit,

Thanks, for response,

i'll give marvin a shot.

Regards
ilya

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ilya,

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the response, please see comments inline
On 12/5/14, 12:08 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Ilya,
>
>> On 05-Dec-2014, at 4:00 am, ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1) When executing cloudmonkey in batch mode, it would be nice to provide exit codes - but this may not be something easily done due to how cloudstack responds.
> The latest CloudMonkey 5.3.0 returns non-zero exit code when a CloudStack API fails.
Need to try this out to see on 5.3.0 if it maybe sufficient.

> It would be great to discuss if there are any specific error code it should return based on the failed API, as I don’t know which ones to use. If I know that, I should be able to easily implement it.
>
> On shell (not as interpreter) it prints without any color and outputs errors on stderr. Errors are more verbose now that include any cs error code and HTTP error code with the returned json. Any discussions on this on what/how we can improve this or any patch contributions would be great.
>
>> 2) One other major useful feature would be, dump all configs from one CS host as json, import configs into another. This way configuration of new CS hosts becomes really easy.
> By config, do you mean global settings? I want to keep the tool simply but I’m thinking of refactoring CloudMonkey’s code so people can write plugins for it that could control it’s behaviour, color/themes, output styles etc.
Here is the use case i have. End user needs to setup new cloudstack
instance with zones, secondary and primary stores, templates, global
settings, etc... he knows most of the configs will be similar to another
env he has with slight differences.
If there would be a way to dump this setup in its entirety, modify few
configs that are global/zone/cluster/host/network specific and use it as
a template to deploy other envs.

I tend to setup new environments  quite frequently and i wrote a wrapper
around cloudmonkey that does configuration by reading a config file.
However, config export and import would be great. The export piece can
be broken down to Gobal Settings, Zone, Storage and Network - each of
these could be a separate file or 1 large file with delineation

This woulf definitely help with CI i'm going to undertake soon.

Thanks.
ilya

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ilya,

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Rohit,

1) When executing cloudmonkey in batch mode, it would be nice to provide
exit codes - but this may not be something easily done due to how
cloudstack responds.

2) One other major useful feature would be, dump all configs from one CS
host as json, import configs into another. This way configuration of new
CS hosts becomes really easy.

Thanks for making this awesome tool even better

Regards
ilya

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, it's fixed in master/5.3 branch now. Until
> 5.3.1 gets released please install/use using the git repo.

Thanks Rohit, I'll give it a try!

--
Erik

Re: Any more CloudMonkey improvements you want to see?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Erik,

On Tuesday 09 December 2014 01:33 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> I'm trying to use cloudmonkey in some scripts and find it hard to check if
> there was anything returned or not.
>
> Would it be possible to have cloudmonkey not return an extra newline if
> there's no results?
>
> Example of current behaviour:
>
> [jenkins@packer-master ~]$ cloudmonkey list templates templatefilter=self
> name=packer-centos-6.6-60gb
>
> ( note this extra empty line )
>
> [jenkins@packer-master ~]$
>

> Expected behaviour:
>
> [jenkins@packer-master ~]$ cloudmonkey list templates templatefilter=self
> name=packer-centos-6.6-60gb
>
> [jenkins@packer-master ~]$

Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Logan,

On Thursday 11 December 2014 11:51 PM, Logan Barfield wrote:
> Hi Rohit,
>
> Another small improvement I just thought about:  When using tab completion
> to list the arguments, have the required arguments bolded.
>
> I know you can already see the required arguments with "help," but if it's
> not a lot of effort to implement having them marked with tab completion
> would be great.

During tab completion to make text bold on VT100/XTerm ($TERM) based
terminals we will need to first make sure that color is set to true,
boldness on terminal is achieved using special escape characters doing
that when the text change dynamically (as you press tab tab) is tricky
and can cause issues so I've avoided such text/color effects.

I'm planning to refactor cloudmonkey in future so that people will be
able to write them own plugins for cloudmonkey ( that would control
color output, themes, output formats etc). With that aim I want to keep
the tool simple and not do a lot of things.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Posted by Logan Barfield <lb...@tqhosting.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Logan,

CloudMonkey does not handle requests on each API basis so it's hard to
know what to display besides the uuid values during autocompletion. So,
I implemented in such a way to look for a key like "name" or
"description" and print that besides uuid. This helps cloudmonkey to
automatically deal with any new API as they are discovered.

The only way to fix such cases would be to deal with them case by case
basis but that makes the code complex. It a general issue for all APIs,
I'll explore in future if there are ways to automatically deal with such
cases.

Posted by Logan Barfield <lb...@tqhosting.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Sebastien,

I think it's a good idea to allow users to enter human readable text and let cloudmonkey figure out uuid stuff, it's tricky to get it right I'll see if we can implement it in future.

Cheers.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
I will put one in:

would be nice to be able to reference entities by name in addition to uuid.
using uuid is quite cumbersome.

for example

cloudmonkey deploy virtualmachine template='foo' serviceoffering='bar' keypair='toto'

etc…

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ian,

> On 06-Dec-2014, at 12:21 am, Ian Forde <if...@marketo.com> wrote:
>
> I¹ve confirmed that the import of readline causes the funky characters on
> a RHEL/CentOS hosts.  From looking at the fix that you checked in, I¹ll be
> able to put in a safe workaround (as I can¹t pull down from master on the
> host in particular) by setting TERM to anything *other* than (anything
> beginning with) ³xterm², like, say, vt100 as you list in the fix.

Glad it got fixed now, for now please build/install/use the latest from master until 5.3.1 is released.
Thanks for sharing the issue.

Posted by Ian Forde <if...@marketo.com>.
I¹ve confirmed that the import of readline causes the funky characters on
a RHEL/CentOS hosts.  From looking at the fix that you checked in, I¹ll be
able to put in a safe workaround (as I can¹t pull down from master on the
host in particular) by setting TERM to anything *other* than (anything
beginning with) ³xterm², like, say, vt100 as you list in the fix.

For anyone else that comes across this, until there¹s a newer release of
CloudMonkey, if you have this issue just set the environment variable TERM
to something like ³vt100² in your script before any cloudmonkey calls and
hopefully things will work as expectedŠ

Rohit - thanks for looking into this.  Definitely a strange error that
took some digging to find the causeŠ

  -I

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for reporting this, I found the issue it’s caused by readline. The chars are output just by importing it. You can confirm this on your shell by: python -c 'import readline’ > output.txt (read this text file).

The escape chars I was talking about earlier are caused when output is colored. I did not know about the above. It’s fixed in master, please build/install from latest master and confirm if it’s fixed? Thanks.

CloudMonkey 5.3.0 does not output colored text when run on bash or in scripts, so if you’re using in those scripts you don’t need to set color off.

Posted by Ian Forde <if...@marketo.com>.
Platform = RHEL 6.4.  As I noted in my original message, I have disabled
colors in both ~/.cloudmonkey/config AND on the command line.  I
definitely do not want the escape characters since this is intended for a
bash script.

I am confused in that you started talking about colors (which, as I’ve
noted, I’ve disabled), then switched to talking about the prompt.  I’ve
changed the prompt to a different character anyway to test, and there was
no change in output.

What’s the next step here?  Can you reproduce this issue?

  -I

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ian,

Posted by Ian Forde <if...@marketo.com>.
(Just joined the list and had this forwarded to me - please forgive if
threading is broken)

Quick Cloudmonkey question (CS 4.3.1, Cloudmonkey 5.3.0) - I noticed in
the archives there are questions regarding cloudmonkey and embedded
control characters. We’re still getting them and can’t get rid of them.
For example… (note that the “Prompt” line does have the monkey icon - hope
it shows up here…)

In ~/.cloudmonkey/config:

	[ui]
	color = false