Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Matthias Epheser <ma...@gmx.at> on 2008/04/01 15:31:58 UTC

[GSOC proposal]: Solr javascript client library

Hello community

I am a student from Vienna currently writing his master thesis about
"Fast and userfriendly information retrieval in large indices" (working
title), that focuses on techniques like faceted browsing and field
collapsing.

The funtionalities and internals of Solr cover a large part of my
theoretical work and I also want to point out that ease of integration
into existing projects and a good self declaring user interface are
important things to consider when creating a faceting browsing solution.

As a showcase for these things I am creating a reusable Javascript
Widget Library that directly queries solr using asynchronuous calls to
create a very fast, dynamic and easy to use data browser.

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I now want to introduce my (planned) work to the community and propose
the implementation, elaboration and documentation of this library as a
Google Summer of Code 2008 project. I already participated in gsoc and I
think it's a very good way for students to start contributing to an open
soure project.

I started creating a small prototype a few weeks ago, you can test it
here: http://lovo.test.dev.indoqa.com/mepheser/moobrowser/
It covers a fictional media library created by a testdata generator.

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It uses a prototype of my MooTools(http://mootools.net) based javascript
library. Mootools are chosen because of the good inheritance mechanism,
thus you can create a very "clean" widget system using baseclasses. As
mentioned before, everything is created under the paradigm "keep it simple"

Looking at the html sourcecode, you just have to create empty divs that
act as "targets" and then create an instance of Moobrowser using the
solr url:

mooBrowser = new MooBrowser('url-of-solr');

Now you can add various widgets to this browser. Each widget consists of
its javascript class and a xslt stylesheet that is used to create the
appropriate response from solr. See
http://lovo.test.dev.indoqa.com/mepheser/moobrowser/moobrowser.js for
the js source code. Currently these widgets are supported in an alpha
version:

- MooBrowserPageableResultWidget that creates the "result view"
including paging buttons

- MooBrowserSingleFieldFacetWidget for simple facet fiels. These fields
can be dependend on other fields, see "by medium" -> "image" as an example

- MooBrowserTreeFacetWidget: this is used to display hierarchical facets
(see "by category" -> "sports" -> "tennis" -> ..
The data is stored in layers like category_0, category_1 in the index.

- new MooBrowserSearchFacetWidge for full text searching

All rendering is done using css, every "target" div is self-updating and
delivers its fitting html after the user changes his selection.

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of cource I would formulate an "official" proposal containing tasks,
timeline, etc. AFAIK, the timeline is extended till next moday.

WDYT?

Best regard,
Matthias

Re: [GSOC proposal]: Solr javascript client library

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I need to look more at what it takes to be a mentor, but I'd be willing to do
: that.

Ryan: In case you haven't found it yet, the info (on the ASF side) committers need to
familiarize themselves with to be mentors is...

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCodeMentor

(note in particular there is an oddly named "code-awards" mailing list you
need to subscribe to, and you need to update committers/MailAlias.txt to
include your "Google Account")

BTW: Sweet demo Matthias.

-Hoss

Re: [GSOC proposal]: Solr javascript client library

Posted by Matthias Epheser <ma...@gmx.at>.
Ryan McKinley schrieb:
> Hi Matthias-
>
> Your demo looks great.  I'd love to see a general solr javascript library.
>
> I need to look more at what it takes to be a mentor, but I'd be willing
> to do that.

Great!

So the first "official" steps on my side should be creating a student
account on the GSOC site (which I just did) and adding a proposal
addressing "The Apache Software foundation" as target group (which I
will do tomorrow evening).

You should be able to "accept" this proposal in the mentor area.

I will write a short announcement on this list after I uploaded the
proposal.

matthias

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias-

Posted by Matthias Epheser <ma...@gmx.at>.
Erik Hatcher schrieb:
> Matthias,
>
> This stuff looks great!   Certainly +1 on you continuing these efforts.

Thanks!

> Regarding your choice of MooTools: have you considered using jQuery
> instead?   The reason I ask is that we now have a jQuery-based schema
> browser in Solr's trunk and thus it is already there and usable within
> the Solr codebase.  Many of my super savvy JavaScript/AJAX savvy pals
> have mentioned they prefer jQuery over MooTools, prototype, etc.  I'm a
> bit out of my league here though, so certainly defer to others expertise
> in this area.

The reason I chose mootools was the nice support for class inheritance,
so you are able to create a widget hierarchy in a very object orientated
way. I have to admit that I lack knowledge about jQuery here (only have
experience with mootools, dojo and prototype), but for sure I am willing
to look at all reasonalbe technical possibilities.

I think - and your posting is a proof for that - that the decision for
the concrete tools to use should be the first item on the agenda of this
project and it also should be discussed with you people here on the
list, who have a better look on the "big picture" of solr than me.

> Perhaps already on your roadmap, I'd love to see Solr integration with
> SIMILE's Timeline, Exhibit, and their other viz stuff.  I put some basic
> support for both Timeline and Exhibit into Flare.

Good proposals, IMHO when we have created a stable base library, it
should be "easy" to create implementations for various external
javascript libraries like stuff on SIMILE or google maps and the like.

matthias

Posted by Matthias Epheser <ma...@gmx.at>.
Ryan McKinley schrieb:
> found it.  On page 9 of a completely unordered/unsearchable list.... you
> would think google could add search/sort no?
>
> In general looks good.  We can discuss implementation details later, but
> one thing to consider is taking this opportunity to build a better
> example data set we all can work with:
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-131

For my demo (because I want to compare technologies and need easy
generated testdata), I created a small TestDataGenerator that uses SolrJ
and that is configiurable within a spring context.

You can there define multiple fields that are randomly populated,
depending on their type. I have types for:

- A choice of String values
- Integer/Float ranges
- A hierarchic String structure
- Date fields
- UUID fields

All fields may depend on other fields' values, and can be multivalued or
not. See attached applicationContext.xml for details. I think with we
should be able to generate your Books/Movies example data set with this
tool very easily.

matthias

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Epheser <ma...@gmx.at>.