Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org> on 2010/12/02 15:52:24 UTC

Re: Possible multi-threading bug

In this kind of software design, where we have a reset(), get() and mutate()
kind of method, the importance of volatile performance vs synchronized control
is pretty much a part of what mutate() does.  If mutate() is really set(), then,
you just have and assignment (typically) and thus there is no atomic view
problem between get() and set().  get() will return the new value of set() at
some point in the future, so volatile is enough in the class implementation.

However, in our case where mutate() involves, indirectly, a get() operation,
then synchronized is required on all mutations because the total order of the
involved operations is important, as Peter said in his post.  It can be that the
references also need to be synchronized if there is an intermediate value that
might be set() before the final mutate() action occurs.

Because of all of these considerations, it is usually far better to pick
synchronized first until volatile can be proven to be more desirable.  That way,
any future changes to the reference and mutator methods will not expose a new
bug related to operation ordering or intermediate values.

Sometimes, people write methods like

	public void increment() {
		if( ++count > MAX ) {
			count = 0;
		}
	}

and there is thus two "set" operations and the final result is really all that
you want to expose.  So synchronized here is a good idea.

A second issue is that if you are designing a "container" class that others
might use in multiplicity such that it could end up in a container, and perhaps
as a key data structure, it can be better to create an internal locking object
to perform synchronization on so that if the user of your class starts using
your class as a locking object, the internal locking does not impact unrelated
code paths.

Gregg Wonderly

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I've taken a quick look at the source code, and it appears to me to be
somewhere in between.

It is segmented, and the Segment class extends ReentrantLock. However,
the lock is obtained only for methods that modify the segment. The code
uses volatile variables to permit pure read operations to go through
without any locking.

Patricia

Posted by Carfield Yim <ca...@carfield.com.hk>.

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>.

Posted by Michał Kłeczek <mi...@xpro.biz>.
I would also suggest taking a look at Google Code Guava project (formelly
Google Collections) - it introduces a concept of a concurrent computing map
which lazily computes a value when asked for non-existent key and a thread
safe memoizer which is a lazily computed value. In many cases it really
makes multithreaded code simpler and less error prone.

Michal

Posted by Carfield Yim <ca...@carfield.com.hk>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.