Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Margoscin, Ed" <ed...@vignette.com> on 2004/04/12 23:05:04 UTC

Java transport not functional under Tomcat 4.x

I'm having some issues with Tomcat 4.x and what I think is a classpath issue.  I'm trying to test out some web services that are using Axis.  Axis provides a java:// protocol that allows truly local calls.  As part of java.net.URL, you can add further protocols by setting the system property "java.protocol.handler.pkgs" with the package names containing the handlers.  In this case, "org.apache.axis.transport" is set.  When URL encounters the "java://" as part of the URL string, it appends ".java.Handler" to the package name and then tries to load the class.  Tomcat never seems to find the class and I end up with a malformed url exception.  I've added the axis.jar to all the libs I could find and it still won't find it.  Note that I can create a "java://" url from the command line with axis.jar in the path.

I've tried to debug java.net.URL, but because it's a java. class, I can't see the local variables.  However, I can see that it is accessing the system property and is trying to load classes and gets class not found exceptions.

I have used this in the past, but it was with BEA Weblogic.

Any ideas?

Ed Margoscin
512-741-1328

Vignette's software and expertise help organizations harness the power of information and the Web to deliver measurable improvements in business efficiency. Vignette is the efficiency expert. Visit http://www.vignette.com/ to learn more.