Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/06/03 20:22:24 UTC

Speed-up & Preview

I found that the 'annotations' I was allowing on XML elements was somehow
clashing with the 'Pythonic' (delegating) 'XML merge' code. Don't ask me
why, but removing it allowed a major major metadata load speed-up. Minutes
back to seconds.

It isn't quite a blinding fast as Nicola once commented upon (even with
cached copies of the remote metadata, so saving HTTP) but it is fast. It now
allows me to run a preview before I commit, to attempt to reduce the
embarrassment of mistakes.

Preview now shows (1) sequences [project & module] (2) annotations (w/
error/warning) (3) command lines (for CVS|SVN & Ant|Maven|Script)
[if --verbose]

> python gump/preview.py -w ../gump.xml

Here are some that are also listed here. I ought get these mailed to us:

    http://brutus.apache.org:8080/gump/notesLog.html

Workspace:gump
Annotations:
  Error:Duplicate project [jaxrpc] in [ws-wsrp4j] and now [java-xml-pack]
Project:cocoon-block-php
Annotations:
  Debug:Sole jar [php-block.jar] identifier set to project name
  Warning:Bad *Optional* Dependency. Project: phpservlt unknown to *this*
workspace
Project:cocoon-block-scratchpad
Annotations:
  Debug:Sole jar [scratchpad-block.jar] identifier set to project name
  Info:Failed with reason configuration failed
  Error:Bad Dependency. Project: commons-beanutils unknown to *this*
workspace
Project:cocoon-lenya
Annotations:
  Debug:Sole jar [cocoon.jar] identifier set to project name
  Error:Project dist-avalon-logkit defines no jars as output
Project:excalibur-store
Annotations:
  Debug:Sole jar [excalibur-store-20040603.jar] identifier set to project
name
  Info:Failed with reason configuration failed
  Error:Bad Dependency. Project: jisp unknown to *this* workspace
Project:jakarta-slide
Annotations:
  Warning:Unnamed property for [jakarta-slide] in depend on: jakarta-lucene
  Warning:Unnamed property for [jakarta-slide] in depend on: jaxen
  Info:Dependency on xml-xerces exists, no need to add for property
xmlparser.jar.
  Info:Dependency on antlr exists, no need to add for property
antlr-tools.jar.
  Info:Dependency on dist-ant exists, no need to add for property ant.jar.
  Info:Dependency on jmx exists, no need to add for property jmx.jar.
  Info:Dependency on jakarta-struts exists, no need to add for property
struts.lib.
  Info:Dependency on jakarta-taglibs-standard exists, no need to add for
property jstl.jar.
  Info:Dependency on jakarta-taglibs-standard exists, no need to add for
property taglibs-standard.jar.
  Info:Dependency on jakarta-tomcat-4.0 exists, no need to add for property
catalina.dist.
Project:jakarta-tapestry
Annotations:
  Debug:Sole jar [tapestry-20040603.jar] identifier set to project name
  Info:Failed with reason configuration failed
  Error:Bad Dependency. Project: commons-beanutils unknown to *this*
workspace
Project:jakarta-turbine-jcs
Annotations:
  Debug:Sole jar [jcs-20040603.jar] identifier set to project name
  Info:Failed with reason configuration failed
  Error:Bad Dependency. Project: jisp unknown to *this* workspace
Project:scarab
Annotations:
  Error:Found a <jar with no name...

regards

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Speed-up & Preview

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> [and BTW I am looking forward to being able to colour errors as red and
> warnings as yellow, some day.]

I have added a special entry in the new Forrest skinconf for adding
extra css, but I still have to check if the class="" attribute has been
added to the DTD. We have feature-freezed the trunk, let's hope to make
a release soon!

In any case, thanks for the explanation :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Speed-up & Preview

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > I found that the 'annotations' I was allowing on XML elements was
somehow
> > clashing with the 'Pythonic' (delegating) 'XML merge' code. Don't ask me
> > why, but removing it allowed a major major metadata load speed-up.
Minutes
> > back to seconds.
>
> Wow, that's cool! But please help my oor little brain come back to
> coding after my vacation... what are these 'annotations' you are talking
> about?

Good question. In gump/utils/note.py we have Annotation (a simple
level/text) and Annotatable (contains a list of Annotations) and helper
methods like 'addError','addInfo','addWarn','addDebug'. Theoretically this
ought be a trivial & not too heavyweight way to 'log onto an object'.

I added this to the XML loading because I wanted to capture error/warning
conditions from that process, and store them 'in context' (on the XML object
they effected). The sort of errors are 'no such URL' (for HTTP download),
'badly formed XML', etc. Warnings include 'Gump doesn't understand <mkdir on
<ant', and such.

There is code to 'display' annotations, see :

    http://brutus.apache.org:8080/gump/xml-forrest/index.html#Annotations
    http://brutus.apache.org:8080/gump/notesLog.html

[and BTW I am looking forward to being able to colour errors as red and
warnings as yellow, some day.]

Anyway, I guess either adding this list per object is 'too much' (maybe) or
somehow the Pythonic object delegations (gnarly stuff) got kicked out of
it's sweet spot due to having an 'annotations' attribute (rather than none).
I lean towards the latter.

I'll add a JIRA entry to re-visit this issue, 'cos I do want those
errors/warnings.

regards,

Adam

Re: Speed-up & Preview