Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ravishankar S <ra...@ionidea.com> on 2002/06/13 08:20:13 UTC

Re: Reading Address Book

one way is  to export the address book to CSV file format......u can then
parse this CSV file using either the regexp package or the custom jdk1.4
classes....even better if u know  a perl guru tell him to write a  script to
get the job done..after all
TMTOWTDI:-))))))

try this sample class... from JGURU...

How can I correctly parse CSV ( comma separated values ) files?
StringTokenizer doesn't seem to fit many conditions.
Location: http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=809266
Created: Mar 23, 2002
Author: Joe Sam Shirah (http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=42100)
Question originally posed by steven mccartey
(http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=792888

Ian Darwin has two classes ( CSV.java and CSVRE.java ) to handle CSV files
in his Java Cookbook, including a way with regular expressions. You can
download the code from his site, probably best to do so from the examples by
chapter ( see Chapter 3, "Strings and Things" ) page. Not a bad idea to buy
the book, either.
Comments and alternative answers

 use this class
Author: Amardeep Singh (http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=811616),
Mar 25, 2002

import java.util.*;

public class WStringTokenizer extends StringTokenizer
{
 private String tbt;
 private String d;
 private int startpos=0;

 public WStringTokenizer(String str,String delim)
 {
  super(str,delim);
  tbt=new String(str);
  d=new String(delim);
 }
 public int countTokens()
 {
  int tokens=0;
  int temp=startpos;
 while(true)
 {
  try
  {
  nextToken();
  tokens++;
  }
  catch(NoSuchElementException e) {break;}
 }
 startpos=temp;
 return tokens;
 }

 public boolean hasMoreElements() {
 return hasMoreTokens();
 }

 public boolean hasMoreTokens() {
 if(countTokens()>0) return true;
 else return false;
 }

 public Object nextElement() {
 return (Object) d;
 }

 public String nextToken() throws NoSuchElementException {
 int result=0;
 String s;

 if(startpos>tbt.length()) throw(new NoSuchElementException ());
 result=tbt.indexOf(d,startpos);
 if(result<0) result=tbt.length();
 s=new String(tbt.substring(startpos,result));
 startpos=result+d.length();
 return s;
 }

 public String nextToken (String delim) throws NoSuchElementException {
 d=delim;
 return nextToken();
 }
}

 Another CSVReader
Author: Roshan Shrestha (http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=130068),
Mar 26, 2002
Ian Darwin's class parses the file one line at a time. Many times, a field
may span multiple lines. I think a better class is the CSVReader described
in http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/tfd.pdf. As an added
bonus, it also desscribes unit testing with JUnit!

 CSV Libraries
Author: Stephen Ostermiller
(http://www.jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=576685), Apr 17, 2002
There are free open source libraries for parsing and printing CSV files
available here: http://ostermiller.org/utils/CSVLexer.html

ravi
Posted by RNivas <rn...@hotpop.com>.
Dear David you bang on target.

  How do application can read fred's  address book of Microsoft Outlook.
  As Fred click on "Email this". There should be one pop with email
addresses from Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express not from data base.
  My application do not have the address of  Bill in database, but it is in
Microsoft Address book. So at Run time I want to read the email address of
bill from address book.

Thanks a lot.
Rnivas

Posted by David Cassidy <dc...@nisports.com>.