Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ir...@vuosaari.hai.fi on 2001/06/27 10:08:12 UTC

tomcat on a home machine???

Hello

I have linux installed at home and have only a
modem connecting me to the internet through a
local service provider.

My questions are:

Is it possible for me to install and use tomcat
without a permenant connection.

If it is possible what files would need to be
configured to allow me to do so.

What url would I need to call to access tomcat's
homepage.

Apologies if this question has been asked b4.

T:Irvine

Re: tomcat on a home machine???

Posted by Simon Mitchell bpc <sm...@bigpond.net.au>.
You need a java jdk and tomcat.

Have a look at this page for setup info on windows2000 and linux.

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/03/29/tomcat.html

Then goto http://localhost:8080/   once tomcat is running.

Simon

Re[2]: tomcat on a home machine???

Posted by T <rl...@bonbon.net>.
Wednesday, June 27, 2001, 10:39:46 AM, you wrote:

ME> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 irvine@vuosaari.hai.fi wrote:

>> I should add that I wanted to know if it is
>> possible to install and use tomcat for test
>> purposes. That is to develop and test programs
>> at home and not make them available on the internet
>> - not at least from my home machine.
ME> [ ... ]

ME> Well then you should be able to use localhost as the machine name in
ME> the URL regardless of whether your machine is connected to the network.

if it's in the hosts file (and some versions of windows required you
to be online - yes zi know he's no using windows). But 127.0.0.1 should always
work for local loopback.

--
Best regards,
 T                            mailto:rlist@bonbon.net