Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> on 2010/12/06 10:31:42 UTC

[DRAFT] December Report

Here's the status report for December.

Comments?

River

Apache River is a distributed computing architecture, based on the JSK
Starter Kit Source code donated by Sun Microsystems, for the Jini
Specification. While generally referred to as a Service Architecture,
it might be more easily explained to those familiar with Dependency
Injection as a Protocol Independent, Distributed Dependency Injection
Architecture, suited to both hardware and software. Instead of
depending on Protocols directly for communication, everything is
abstracted behind a Java interface, allowing protocols and
implementations to be swapped freely, programming languages other than
Java can also participate.

The activity on the River project continues to grow and is seeing
renewed interest from people who had previously fallen silent.  The
current development team feels that we are ready to start the
Graduation process to a TLP.

The next release 2.2.0 is scheduled for December, this is likely to be
a bug-fix release and will hopefully be our last release before
graduation.

New functionality and enhancements has currently been suspended in
favour of bug-fixes and the work towards graduation.  The following
rough road map has been provisionally agreed;

 * Graduation as top level project river.apache.org
 * Rename com.sun namespace to org.apache.river
 * Modular build & JDK policy

After this has been completed then the previous work on new
functionality and enhancements will be picked up again.  These will
include;
 * Dynamic Grants at Runtime, based on CodeSource, Code Signer
Certificate chains , ProtectionDomain or ClassLoader.
 * Dynamic Revoke of Grant's at Runtime
 * Securing proxy downloads and unmarshalling

Additionally work is continuing on the build and test environments.
Bug fixes are helping meaning more of the QA tests are passing, which
allows us to enable more of the test categories thus increasing test
coverage.  More of the JTREG tests are also passing after fixes to the
environment and the tests themselves.

The website has been moved to the new Apache CMS environment and has
seen further increases in the level of documentation available,
particular articles which are useful to people starting to use and
develop River.

3 most important issues:
Graduation
Graduation
Graduation

Signed off by mentor:

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 06-12-10 10:31, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> Here's the status report for December.
>
> Comments?

> 3 most important issues:
> Graduation
> Graduation
> Graduation

Perfect!

Gr. Sim

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to get this submitted asap, any mentors happy to sign it off?

Looks good to me.

Note that from the incubator perspective the "3 most important issues"
is really geared towards graduation, so I'd break it down to the
following:

* List future River PMC members and select the initial PMC chair
* Prepare the TLP graduation resolution
* Vote on graduation

The more technical goals are also good points to include in the
report, but they're more interesting to the River community itself
than to the Incubator or the ASF board.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
This has been done now.  I updated the Wiki according to the
instructions in the original "Your report is due" email.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Updated release data.

I'd like to get this submitted asap, any mentors happy to sign it off?
 Or would you guys rather wait a bit longer for more input?

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Looks good thanks Tom, can we push back the release to January, need more time to allow for voting.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [DRAFT] December Report

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 12/6/2010 1:31 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> Here's the status report for December.
>
> Comments?
> 3 most important issues:
> Graduation
> Graduation
> Graduation

I agree with the spirit, but doubt whether repeating the same item is
quite what is meant by the three most important issues.

Here are a couple of candidates for other issues:

Decision about which JVM versions to support in 2.2.0 (unless that has
already been effectively made)

QA test performance and organization. I think running all categories of
the tests is a significant accomplishment, but it does make for a rather
long test sequence.

Patricia