Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/19 08:42:46 UTC

Stratos Concept Mapping against Deployment

Hi All,

We need to clearly understand the mapping of Stratos concepts against each
deployment type in order to provide Docker support in Stratos. Please see
the following table and let me know your thoughts.

Deployment Type
------------------------------

Stratos Concept
Virtual MachinesDocker on Bare MetalDocker on CoreOS in an IaaS

Cartridge Instance

a VM

a Docker Process

a Docker Process

Partition

an Availability Zone

a Docker Host VM

a CoreOS Host VM

Network Partition

a Region

a set of Docker Host VMs

a cluster of CoreOS VMs

With the introduction of Docker, I feel like we need a sub-partitioning
concept to cater in-container auto-scaling feature. I'll start a separate
thread to discuss my findings on this.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Stratos Concept Mapping against Deployment

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Nirmal,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We need to clearly understand the mapping of Stratos concepts against each
> deployment type in order to provide Docker support in Stratos. Please see
> the following table and let me know your thoughts.
>

> Deployment Type
> ------------------------------
>
> Stratos Concept
> Virtual Machines Docker on Bare Metal Docker on CoreOS in an IaaS
>
> Cartridge Instance
>
> a VM
>
> a Docker Process
>
> a Docker Process
>
> Partition
>
> an Availability Zone
>
> a Docker Host VM
>
> a CoreOS Host VM
>
> Network Partition
>
> a Region
>
> a set of Docker Host VMs
>
> a cluster of CoreOS VMs
>

> With the introduction of Docker, I feel like we need a sub-partitioning
> concept to cater in-container auto-scaling feature. I'll start a separate
> thread to discuss my findings on this.

Docker host can spin in a partition. If we provide dynamic IaaS
provisioning for register these docker hosts, IMO we can deploy partitions
(which is unique to above docker host) also dynamically and dockers are
spin up in those partitions. If so IMO we no need to have sub-partitions
right? we can use same partitions concept.

> --
> Best Regards,
> Nirmal
>
> Nirmal Fernando.
> Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
>
> Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Vice President, Apache Stratos

Re: Stratos Concept Mapping against Deployment

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Imesh,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> If we group a Docker/Core OS host as a partition, if the host goes down
> the entire partition will be unavailable.

+1, [1] reveals a bit about Amazon definition. I think we can define the
zones and regions based on network latency.  A zone can have one or many
hosts but with lesser network latency than region.

IaaS designer can analyse his resources to choose which network latency
levels(X, Y, and Z), that he need to define for Zones and Regions, such
that,

Latency between two hosts in a zone < X
X < Latency between two hosts in two different zones < Y
Y < Latency between two hosts in two different regions < Z

Thanks.

[1]
http://harish11g.blogspot.com/2012/07/amazon-availability-zones-aws-az.html

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> If we group a Docker/Core OS host as a partition, if the host goes down
>> the entire partition will be unavailable.

Hi Imesh, this is the same behavior we see for an AWS availability zone.
 An AZ is a partition in Stratos and if a whole AZ goes down, the entire
partition will be unavailable, but Stratos could use another available
partition to spin instances.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Also, please read Findings on CoreOS thread for a summarized set of
information on CoreOS.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Imesh,

Yes, we had a look at Kubernetes too (discussed in [DISCUSS] Direct docker
support from Stratos), and as of now our current understanding is
Kubernetes, CoreOS, Stratos has set of conflicting interests such as
scheduling docker instances, service grouping etc. (of course with few
differentiations) :-)

Anyway, need to explore more and see whether we can leverage these while
respecting Stratos' features.

As per my current understanding Stratos will do most of the things that
both CoreOS and Kubernetes do, after implementing the docker support.

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sajith Kariyawasam <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.