Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Caoilte O'Connor <li...@caoilte.org> on 2003/11/20 13:24:05 UTC

fmt+struts headaches.

hey all,
I'm playing around and trying to get the jstl
internationalization tags working with struts. It's proving
a bit more of a headache than I'd like.

I made the usual changes and eventually figured out that the
1.0.0 release (included in the struts 1.1 contrib dir) is
seriously broken.

Now I'm trying to work out the best way to allow users to
change locale. Right now I've had to put a

<fmt:setLocale
value='${sessionScope["org.apache.struts.action.LOCALE"]}'/

at the top of every jsp page using fmt tags otherwise the
fmt tags do not pick up on locale changes.

(I've tried using
session.setAttribute(Config.FMT_LOCALE, locale);

in the action where I normally change locale but that didn't
work (it was suggested in the archives somewhere.)

Does anyone know how I can change the fmt locale as part of
an action (ie not using the fmt tags)?

ALSO,
i had to change the URI of the fmt tag to be "http://
java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" before it would work properly.

Are there any other tag libraries with such a "feature"?

Re: Possible Bug in transform tag?

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
I could swear this popped up on the list not too long ago, but I can't locate
the thread. Anyway, I seem to remember briefly looking at the transform code and
being left with the impression that it required <x:param> sub-elements to be
direct children of <x:transform>. I could be way off though...

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Possible Bug in transform tag?

Re: fmt+struts headaches.

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Hm, could be. Okay, what about updating the localization context as well (still
untested):

import javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.core.Config;
import javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.LocalizationContext;
HttpSession session = request.getSession(true);
Locale locale = (Locale)session.getAttribute(Globals.LOCALE_KEY);
if (locale == null) {
  locale = request.getLocale();
}
Config.set(session, Config.FMT_LOCALE, locale);
LocalizationContext locCtx =
  (LocalizationContext)Config.get(session, Config.FMT_LOCALIZATION_CONTEXT);
if (locCtx == null) {
  // assume there's at least a "global" loc ctx
  locCtx = (LocalizationContext)Config.get(session.getServletContext(),
                                           Config.FMT_LOCALIZATION_CONTEXT);
}
Locale locCtxLocale = locCtx.getLocale();
if ((locCtxLocale == null) || (!locCtxLocale.equals(locale))) {
  locCtx = new LocalizationContext(locCtx.getResourceBundle(), locale);
  Config.set(session, Config.FMT_LOCALIZATION_CONTEXT, locCtx);
}

Re: fmt+struts headaches.

Posted by Caoilte O'Connor <li...@caoilte.org>.
hmmm, I thought I'd better just say that it appears to be
working fine for us however.

we've got no clumsy bundle or locale tags in our jsp pages
anymore and we can change language quite happily using a
struts action.

That Config thing should really be added to the Struts
documentation though. It's not at all clear.

thanks again,

Re: fmt+struts headaches.

Posted by "K.C. Baltz" <kc...@lollimail.com>.

Re: fmt+struts headaches.

Posted by Caoilte O'Connor <li...@caoilte.org>.
will that work testing a container not connected to the
internet though? I'd hate to be sitting on the train with
my laptop getting "cannot download taglib" type errors.

Re: fmt+struts headaches.

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.

Re: fmt+struts headaches.

Posted by Caoilte O'Connor <li...@caoilte.org>.