Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/11/04 15:14:41 UTC

More on Avalon site

Moving this to a new thread.

Leo suggested writing a script that would give people a nice little notice
about the documentation having moved and also a link to the "closed" page
for more information.

Berin suggested actual redirects.  Perhaps first showing the message Leo
described, followed by an actual redirect to the recommended location.

Any other ideas?

The above could be accomplished by using mod_alias to redirect all URL
requests (except for /index.html and /closed.html) to a cgi script.  The cgi
script could create the "resource moved" message and include a redirect.

So, who wants to help take a shot at the .htaccess page and the cgi script?

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS
  (724) 696-7653

Re: More on Avalon site

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.
I have this little .htaccess that I used for Commons-Attributes

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^(.*) /commons/attributes/$1 [R,L]

I think a:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^index.html /index.html [L]
RewriteRule ^(.*) /closed.html [R,L]

dumped in every subdir would do the trick. That is, index.html is
unchanged, and everything else goes to close.html.

Let me know when you want this set up and I'll do it.

/LS

Re: More on Avalon site

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
And I suggest leave it as it is :-)
Seriously, its good enough the way it is.

--
Cheers,
hammett

Re: More on Avalon site

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Michael Clovis wrote:

> To All Contributors:
>
> 	As a new developer using the Avalon, Merlin , etc frameworks and tools...
> All of this discussion of CLOSING avalon and moving this and that I HAVE ONE
> QUESTION!
>
> How will this affect future practices, standards and for developers like
> myself. Also the tutorials and guide that are currently available help walk
> developers that are just starting throught the same
> patterns proccess that Avalon has grown through.
> Can you address this!

Everything will still be available from the distribution sites, which
includes documentation -- though perhaps we should offer a download of
the current and past site for those who are interested.

However, your greatest resources are already available at
excalibur.apache.org, dpml.net, and loom.codehaus.org.  There you will
continue to find the tutorials, documents, standards, practices, and
even developers who started here at Avalon.  Have you checked out these
sites yet?  Have you joined these mailing lists?

I would suggest first checking out these sites and perhaps asking some
questions on these mailing lists.

jaaron

RE: More on Avalon site