Posted to dev@shardingsphere.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/21 17:57:34 UTC

Fwd: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3

Hi Juan,

I'd like to suggest a small change in the voting reporting process for releases.

When the release manager tallies the dev@ vote, everyone who votes should be named.

When the vote is forwarded to incubator general, the dev@ votes should also be forwarded. So in the incubator vote, the binding and non-binding votes from the dev@ vote should have been included.

And in this announcement, my vote from the dev@ list should have been included in the result.

Regards,
Craig

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Juan Pan" <pa...@apache.org>
> Subject: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3
> Date: November 21, 2019 at 4:53:22 AM PST
> To: "general@incubator.apache.org" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
>
> Hi All,
>
> Release vote for Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3 has PASSED and closed now. The results are as follows:
>

> [4] +1 Binded votes
> - Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> - Justin Mclean
> - Gosling Von
> - Sheng Wu
>
> [ 0 ] +0  Binded Votes
> [ 0 ] -1  Binded Votes
>
> Thanks for everyone, especially for IPMCs who checked and voted to help this version released. I will process to publish the release andsend ANNOUNCE later.
>

> Juan Pan
>

> panjuan@apache.org
> Juan Pan(Trista), Apache ShardingSphere

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Craig,

Very appreciated your clarification which helps us do better in future.

 Juan Pan

panjuan@apache.org
Juan Pan(Trista), Apache ShardingSphere

On 11/23/2019 01:09,Craig Russell<ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Juan,

I'm sorry you got in the middle of this. I thought that we had clear procedures in place earlier, but not so. I just looked at some of the past releases where there was confusion.

On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:23 PM, Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Craig,

Some confusions came to my mind when i thought twice what you said, can you give me more help? Thanks in advance.

When the vote is forwarded to incubator general, the dev@ votes should also be forwarded. So in the incubator vote, the binding and non-binding votes from the dev@ vote should have been included.

It means all the votes from dev@ should be included as the final vote result for general@, right? If so, votes from mentors or IPMCs in dev@ are saw as binding votes when voting in incubator, on the other hand, votes from PPMCs in dev@ will be unbinding votes in general@?

The term "binding" is very specific in Apache and is misused when talking about podling dev votes. It should always refer to PMC and IPMC votes.

So the only binding votes are from your mentors and other IPMC members who choose to vote, either on the dev vote thread or the incubator vote thread.

I looked at the release vote threads[1] of Release Apache Pinot (incubating) 0.2.0 RC0. The vote tallying way[2] is that they treat the votes in dev@ and general@ separately.

Good to look at how other projects do things. You might also look at ShardingSphere vote thread for 2.0.0-RC1 which went sideways.

I have no idea whether mentors need to carry on their votes from dev@ to general@ or just let release manage clarify that the final vote results in general@ also include the part of dev@?

Excellent point. If the release artifacts have not changed, there is no reason for anyone to vote again. So I recommend that the release manager carry over the votes to the general vote thread.

I referred to `Apache podling release`[3] and followed it carefully, for this is my first time to be release manage. Sorry if the question was a bit pedantic.

It's been a while since I looked at the guidance here and it's not what I believe to be best practice now. I'm going to update the page after discussion with the incubator folks.

Thanks for pointing out how the incubator can do better.

Best,
Craig

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c425825f7d9da198adfbc5c5633dd0300f77f0ce3f9b88dba92dbe60@%3Cdev.pinot.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c425825f7d9da198adfbc5c5633dd0300f77f0ce3f9b88dba92dbe60@%3Cdev.pinot.apache.org%3E>
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/77c834b865753bbdefda3ce402738576c35c7a89a73e8992d392ae59b@<general.incubator.apache.org> <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/77c834b865753bbdefda3ce402738576c35c7a89a73e8992d392ae59b@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>

[3] http://incubator.apache.org/cookbook/#podling_releases <http://incubator.apache.org/cookbook/#podling_releases>

Best wishes,
Trista

Juan Pan

panjuan@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Juan,

> [...]

> Craig
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Juan Pan" <pa...@apache.org>
> Subject: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3
> Date: November 21, 2019 at 4:53:22 AM PST
> To: "general@incubator.apache.org" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
>
> Hi All,
>
> Release vote for Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3 has PASSED and closed now. The results are as follows:
>

> [4] +1 Binded votes
> - Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> - Justin Mclean
> - Gosling Von
> - Sheng Wu
>
> [ 0 ] +0  Binded Votes
> [ 0 ] -1  Binded Votes
>
> Thanks for everyone, especially for IPMCs who checked and voted to help this version released. I will process to publish the release andsend ANNOUNCE later.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re:Fwd: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating) 4.0.0-RC3

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Thanks Craig,

I got your point, and this suggestion would be appended to our release guide later to help the following release managers.

[1] https://shardingsphere.apache.org/community/en/contribute/release/