Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Shlomi Fish <sh...@iglu.org.il> on 2010/08/21 10:58:33 UTC

A lot of Recent Spam is Uncaught by SpamAssassin

Hi all,

Recently I've noticed that a lot of spam that I am getting is not caught by
SpamAssassin, despite the fact that it is very similar to other spam I got and
that I marked as spam using the Bayesian training. I've placed a sample of
some of the recent messagess I got here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/sa-uncaught-spam/

A lot of it is "I want to have a relationship with you, please contact me so I
can send you my picture, etc.".

I've also noticed that the latest version of SpamAssassin, 3.3.1, was released
on 20-March-2010, which is quite a long time ago:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/spamassassin/

Is there a new release planned soon?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Re: A lot of Recent Spam is Uncaught by SpamAssassin

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 20:09 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> This email reads:
>
> {{{
> Subject: Site suggestion: www.careerjet.co.il
> }}}

That looks to be worth a local rule along the lines of:

header LINK_RQST Subject =~ /(Site|Visit).+www\..+\..+/

if you're getting many of these with a URL in the header.

Martin

Re: A lot of Recent Spam is Uncaught by SpamAssassin

Posted by Shlomi Fish <sh...@iglu.org.il>.
On Sunday 22 August 2010 12:55:43 Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> > I cannot find any special setting for autolearn (either
> > bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam or
> > bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam ) in either
> > /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf or
> > ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs . It probably means they are the default
> > which is
> > 0.1 and 12.0 respectively which seems reasonable enough.
>
> In your set, these are the scores of your ham-learnt messages:
>
> 	1282213227.7828.1nhON:2,S	 0.8
> 	1282213227.7828.AHPct:2,S	 0.8
> 	1282213227.7828.CQy9k:2,S	 0.8
> 	1282213227.7828.VLBN5:2,S	-2.0
> 	1282213227.7828.zvzWO:2,S	 0.8
>
> Since they score 0.8, they wouldn't be learnt as ham with the default
> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam value. So, probably at least this
> setting had been overridden somewhere in your SA conf...
>
> Also, since most of the above messages hit BAYES_50, I would say you have
> network tests disabled in your setup.
>
> If this is the case, I would suggest to either:
>
> 1) enable and appropriately configure network test, because they may help
> SA to better classify your messages;
>
> 2) revise the default auto-learn threshold. Most of the SA user base
> nowadays uses network test, which means that the default auto-learn
> thresholds may reflect the wider spam-to-ham score spread this case yields.
>
> Also note 1282213227.7828.VLBN5:2,S : is it really spam? Revise you ham
> corpora: isn't there any spam?

This email reads:

{{{
Subject: Site suggestion: www.careerjet.co.il
}}}

I've classified it as spam because it appears to be one of the many link
requests that I've been getting and which I don't really want.

Posted by Jacek Politowski <jp...@jp.pl.eu.org>.
On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:40:43AM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:

>I cannot find any special setting for autolearn (either
>bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam or
>bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam ) in either /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf or
>~/.spamassassin/user_prefs . It probably means they are the default which is
>0.1 and 12.0 respectively which seems reasonable enough.

I've seen quite a few spams scoring zero (or even negative, rarely
though) points on my personal server, so I decided to lower autolearn
threshold for ham to -0.5 points.

--
Jacek Politowski

RE: A lot of Recent Spam is Uncaught by SpamAssassin

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.
> > Since they score 0.8, they wouldn't be learnt as ham with the default
> > bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam value. So, probably at least this
> > setting had been overridden somewhere in your SA conf...
>
> Probably not. 0.8 is the score for BAYES_50, which isn't counted in the
> autolearning score. That leaves a score of 0.0 which is below the
> default threshold of 0.1

Ah, right: I forgot Bayes score is not counted for autolearning purposes.

Sorry Shlomi about that.

Re: A lot of Recent Spam is Uncaught by SpamAssassin

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.

Posted by Shlomi Fish <sh...@iglu.org.il>.

Posted by Shlomi Fish <sh...@iglu.org.il>.
On Saturday 21 August 2010 18:39:41 John Hardin wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> > The X-Spam-Status of some of the messages in your set, reports that you
> > enabled the autolearning facility, and that it has Learnt the message as
> > ham. This may be the why you have so low Bayes hits.
> >
> > I would suggest to revise the Bayes autolearn thresholds in you SA setup.

OK, I will.

> ...and, as your bayes database is now polluted, wipe the database and
> retrain properly from scratch.

OK, thanks.

> You _did_ retain your manual training corpora, right? :)

Yes, I did. :-).

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

> The X-Spam-Status of some of the messages in your set, reports that you
> enabled the autolearning facility, and that it has Learnt the message as
> ham. This may be the why you have so low Bayes hits.
>
> I would suggest to revise the Bayes autolearn thresholds in you SA setup.

...and, as your bayes database is now polluted, wipe the database and
retrain properly from scratch.

You _did_ retain your manual training corpora, right? :)

   Watch... Wallet... Gun... Knee...                    -- Denny Crane
  3 days until the 1931st anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii

RE: A lot of Recent Spam is Uncaught by SpamAssassin

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.