Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/04/04 00:03:35 UTC

Re: Dynamic range Facets

: my documents (products) have a price field, and I want to have
: a "dynamically" calculated range facet for that in the response.
: So the question is how to get the dynamic facets response from solr.
:
: This is same question as previously posted back in 2007. But still waits an
: answer??
: Is there any solution on this??

I'm not sure what you mean by "still waits an answer" ... the email thread
you cut/pasted your example from gots lots of answers.  My comments today
are exactly the same as they were then (and in the 2006 threads i
linked to back in 2007)...

http://www.nabble.com/Dynamically-calculated-range-facet-to11314725.html#a11314725
http://www.nabble.com/faceted-browsing-to3655780.html#a3753053

in summary...
* this is a hard problem to implement in a generic manner
* it's much easier to do when you have some domain knowledge (ie: field is
in dollars)

What's changed since then is...
1) we have SearchComponents now
2) we have a stats component which does the hard work of finding
min/max/avg/etc...

It would be fairly easy to write a custom component that expected to run
after the stats component to then get the counts for whatever ranges it
thought were appropriate -- but knowing when to use ranges of "20" vs
ranges of "100" is a very subejctive thing.

-Hoss

Re: Dynamic range Facets

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
I think another challenge here is in distributed mode, how would you merge
the ranges from subsearchers?
-John