Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/15 09:53:21 UTC

Last post before submitting bug : "1.2 build possible bug with '--enable-all-static'"

Hi All,

Below is my week or so old post to the list. Bobody responded to it.
So I am posting it one last time, before submitting a bug.

Thanks - Gal.

-----------------------------

From: Gal Aviel <galaviel <at> yahoo.com>
Subject: 1.2 build possible bug with '--enable-all-static'
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.user
Date: 2005-06-09 14:35:25 GMT (5 days, 18 hours and 22 minutes ago)

Hi All,

I am building Subversion 1.2 on a linux box, hoping to accomplish two things:

(a) create a statically linked 'svn' cmdline client, so I can put it somewhere
on a network drive for all the users, and

(b) build the required mod_dav_svn Apache module, so I can upgrade my apache to
use subversion 1.2.

It appears, that (a) is mutually exclusive with (b), i.e.  when
specifying '--enable-all-static' to configure, some shared libs don't get created
in subversion's $PREFIX/lib, thus when I try to launch Apache I get :

  /opt/apache2/bin/apachectl start
  Syntax error on line 232 of /opt/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
  Cannot load /opt/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
libsvn_repos-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When doing 'ls -la' in e.g. /opt/subversion1.2/lib (that's where I installed
1.2), I indeed don't see an "so" version of the libsvn_repos library, only the
".a" (static) version. Also, the "so" of other libs is missing as well.

Now, according to './configure --help', the '--enable-all-static' is suppose to
      "Build completely static (standalone) binaries". BUT it doesn't say
anything about not building any shared libs while using this flag.

So, either the 'configure' help message or the behaviour of the build process
needs to be modified.

Am I making sense here ?

If so, should I submit this as a bug ?

Thanks in advance, Gal.

Re: Last post before submitting bug : "1.2 build possible bug with '--enable-all-static'"

Posted by Jim Kallio <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: Last post before submitting bug : "1.2 build possible bug with '--enable-all-static'"

Posted by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Olivier Sannier <obones <at> free.fr> writes:

> Why don't you run it first to create the static client, then rerun
> configure and make the libraries?

That's exactly what I did; however (a) it took me some time to find the problem,
and I want to help others avoid this pitfall; and (b) this is a work-around, not
a fix, and being a rather pedantic guy, I couldn't help myself and had to report
this ..

Thanks - Gal.

Re: Last post before submitting bug : "1.2 build possible bug with '--enable-all-static'"

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.

Posted by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <sussman <at> collab.net> writes:

> On Jun 15, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Gal Aviel wrote:
> >
> > (a) create a statically linked 'svn' cmdline client, so I can put
> > it somewhere
> > on a network drive for all the users, and
> >
> > (b) build the required mod_dav_svn Apache module, so I can upgrade
> > my apache to
> > use subversion 1.2.
> >
> > It appears, that (a) is mutually exclusive with (b)
>
> The INSTALL file has always stated:
>
>        Note: do *not* configure subversion with "--disable-shared"!
>        mod_dav_svn *must* be built as a shared library, and it will
>        look for other libsvn_*.so libraries on your system.
>
> So yes, the two options are mutually exclusive, and always have been.
>
> My recommendation is to build everything shared, so that
> mod_dav_svn.so and libsvn_*.so are installed on the server.  Then to
> create a static client, reconfigure with --enable-all-static.

I think my confusion stems from the fact that I assumed for some reason
(probably because that's how I wanted things to look) that (from configur e
--help) "building completely stand alone binaries" means "building completely
stand alone programs (svn, svnserve, etc)". Binaries didn't associated with
libraries for me, but rather with programs. I figured that using
'--enable-all-staitc' just creates statically linked programs, but dynamic
libraries are still produced.

Well no bug reprot this time.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.