Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by shiva prasad <si...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/22 21:06:53 UTC

How does Spamassasin treat Mails with out subject/body(Empty mails) and mails with only Subject as numbers

Hi guyzz,
               I need info as to what exactly is the spamassasin behavior in
the following scenarios

1)   Empty mail with no subject/body (I have this treated as SPAM in my
local pc with default configuration of spamassasin0

2) Email with subject in only numbers with nobody

Regards
shiva

Re: How does Spamassasin treat Mails with out subject/body(Empty mails) and mails with only Subject as numbers

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
Please keep the thread on-list. Do reply to the list, rather than to
individuals.

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 01:32 +0530, shiva prasad wrote:
>  Hi Karsten,
>                   Thanks for the reply.I am using a  Propriety router
> with its own handlers and hooks  that uses Spamassasin  in turn with
> default  spamassasins  configuration options.Any mail that i
> send/receive through the router gets checked for spam.
>
> I am sending a mail with no body but only subject(normal plain text
> like hi or hello with no traces of SPAM content) which is being
> treated as SPAM.It this is not the default behavior,I can attribute it
> to the router code thats causing this false positive case to be
> treated as SPAM when it is plain mail with no body in it but only
> Subject

I see. However, we only can help you, if you have access to the box and
can control / tune the SA installation. If you cannot do this, you
should contact the vendor's support for the device.

Moreover, we can't help or suggest configuration changes, without a
sample as requested previously. At the very least the SA headers,
showing the reason why the box considers the messages to be spam.

As-is, outgoing mail FP'ing, can have a lot of reasons. Merely an empty
body is unlikely to cause it all by itself, though probably just pushed
the score over the threshold, combined with other tests hitting, too.

[ full-quote below snipped ]

Re: How does Spamassasin treat Mails with out subject/body(Empty mails) and mails with only Subject as numbers

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 00:36 +0530, shiva prasad wrote:
> Hi guyzz,
>                I need info as to what exactly is the spamassasin
> behavior in the following scenarios

It depends.

Any such characteristic would only be one (tiny) part of the final
score. There are a *lot* more rules and tests SA performs, which may
impact the overall score -- both ways, positive as well as negative.

Some of the tests depend on local data, and thus are impossible to
predict just like that. And of course, it also depends on your local
configuration and score-set in effect.

I suggest you explain your issue, and why you are asking these very
specific questions.

If you do have such samples processed by SA, at least show us the full
SA headers -- or even better, put a full, raw sample message up a
pastebin, and tell us the link.