Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Riyad Kalla <rk...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/22 22:36:02 UTC

Bookmarkable dynamic pages without HTTP GET in JSF

This is a generic JSF question, but I'm not getting any help in the
Java forums and I'd really like to know what I am dealing with before
I head forward. I'm sorry to catch you guys with this question right
before Christmas break as everyone is probably cramming or on
vacation; but I'd appreciate any direction in this issue:

-------------------------
I'm curious how some of you are getting around the problem of
providing bookmarkable pages without the use of HTTP GET in JSF?

Take for example a site/application like Bugzilla, it relies extremely
heavily on the query string to provide bookmarkable "My Bugs" and
other such results; how would you provide a site like that with pure
JSF using HTTP POSTs everywhere?

Someone mentioned that the W3C suggests HTTP POSTS everywhere for a
good site, but with today's dynamically generated sites and CMS
systems, how can this be the case? Think of a lot of these phpBB based
sites with URLs like:

www.site.com/index.php?forum=23&post=33&topic=71

With a HTTP post you end up with a bookmark of:
www.site.com/index.php

unless I'm missing something here? Can someone shed some light on this
huge glaring problem for me and why either (a) I am missing something
obvious here or (b) the JSF developers decided to completely ignore
the needs like this common in so many sites?

Note I'm not looking for a workaround like the JavaScript method=get
solution, consider a user that has JavaScript turned off... I don't
want to have my site completely break and become unusable.

Happy Holidays,
Riyad