Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk> on 2015/12/22 17:39:28 UTC

Attempt to do update or delete using transaction manager that does not support these operations. (state=42000,code=10294)

Hi,

I am trying this code on table tt defined as an ORC table

0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> show create table tt;

+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--+

|                         createtab_stmt                          |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--+

| CREATE TABLE `tt`(                                              |

|   `owner` varchar(30),                                          |

|   `object_name` varchar(30),                                    |

|   `subobject_name` varchar(30),                                 |

|   `object_id` bigint,                                           |

|   `data_object_id` bigint,                                      |

|   `object_type` varchar(19),                                    |

|   `created` timestamp,                                          |

|   `last_ddl_time` timestamp,                                    |

|   `timestamp2` varchar(19),                                     |

|   `status` varchar(7),                                          |

|   `temporary2` varchar(1),                                      |

|   `generated` varchar(1),                                       |

|   `secondary` varchar(1),                                       |

|   `namespace` bigint,                                           |

|   `edition_name` varchar(30),                                   |

|   `padding1` varchar(4000),                                     |

|   `padding2` varchar(3500),                                     |

|   `attribute` varchar(32),                                      |

|   `op_type` int,                                                |

|   `op_time` timestamp,                                          |

|   `new_col` varchar(30))                                        |

| ROW FORMAT SERDE                                                |

|   'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe'          |

| STORED AS INPUTFORMAT                                           |

|   'org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat'                    |

| OUTPUTFORMAT                                                    |

|   'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat'  |

| LOCATION                                                        |

|   'hdfs://rhes564:9000/user/hive/warehouse/asehadoop.db/tt'     |

| TBLPROPERTIES (                                                 |

|   'COLUMN_STATS_ACCURATE'='true',                               |

|   'numFiles'='546',                                             |

|   'numRows'='8299588',                                          |

|   'rawDataSize'='18611443520',                                  |

|   'totalSize'='18619743108',                                    |

|   'transient_lastDdlTime'='1450337155')                         |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--+

The following delete statement:

delete from tt where exists(select 1 from t where tt.object_id =
t.object_id);

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException [Error
10294]: Attempt to do update or delete using transaction manager that does
not support these operations. (state=42000,code=10294)

Mich Talebzadeh

Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008

A Winning Strategy: Running the most Critical Financial Data on ASE 15

<http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908
.pdf>
http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.
pdf

Author of the books "A Practitioner's Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15",
ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN
978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN:
978-0-9563693-3-8

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume
one out shortly

 <http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this
message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Technology
Ltd, its subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept
any responsibility.

RE: Attempt to do update or delete using transaction manager that does not support these operations. (state=42000,code=10294)

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>.
Sounds like any delete only removes one 1 row from table in Hive on Spark!

Delete from table (actually it has only 10 rows removes one row only!

delete from tt;

INFO  :

Query Hive on Spark job[6] stages:

INFO  : 12

INFO  : 13

INFO  :

INFO  : Job Progress Format

CurrentTime StageId_StageAttemptId: SucceededTasksCount(+RunningTasksCount-FailedTasksCount)/TotalTasksCount [StageCost]

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:04:50,811 Stage-12_0: 46(+2)/256  Stage-13_0: 0/256

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:04:51,825 Stage-12_0: 115(+2)/256 Stage-13_0: 0/256

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:04:52,830 Stage-12_0: 186(+2)/256 Stage-13_0: 0/256

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:04:53,837 Stage-12_0: 252(+2)/256 Stage-13_0: 0/256

……………………………………………..

INFO  : Status: Finished successfully in 11.06 seconds

INFO  : Loading data to table asehadoop.tt from hdfs://rhes564:9000/user/hive/warehouse/asehadoop.db/tt/.hive-staging_hive_2015-12-23_00-04-49_685_5490632347624948684-10/-ext-10000

INFO  : Table asehadoop.tt stats: [numFiles=2, numRows=0, totalSize=3829, rawDataSize=0]

No rows affected (11.807 seconds)

0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> select count(1) from tt;

INFO  :

Query Hive on Spark job[7] stages:

INFO  : 15

INFO  : 14

INFO  :

INFO  : Job Progress Format

CurrentTime StageId_StageAttemptId: SucceededTasksCount(+RunningTasksCount-FailedTasksCount)/TotalTasksCount [StageCost]

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:05:10,929 Stage-14_0: 49(+2)/256  Stage-15_0: 0/1

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:05:11,935 Stage-14_0: 114(+2)/256 Stage-15_0: 0/1

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:05:12,940 Stage-14_0: 180(+2)/256 Stage-15_0: 0/1

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:05:13,943 Stage-14_0: 245(+2)/256 Stage-15_0: 0/1

INFO  : 2015-12-23 00:05:14,947 Stage-14_0: 256/256 Finished    Stage-15_0: 1/1 Finished

INFO  : Status: Finished successfully in 5.03 seconds

+------+--+

| _c0  |

+------+--+

| 9    |

Effectively this does not come back with an error message but gives the impression that all is deleted. I assume that delete from <table> with no predicate should delete all?

Thanks

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk>.

 <http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf> http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15", ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN 978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-3-8

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one out shortly

 <http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Also note that transactions only work with MR or Tez as the backend.  The required work to have them work with Spark hasn't been done.

Alan.

 <ma...@peridale.co.uk> Mich Talebzadeh

December 22, 2015 at 9:43

Dropped and created table tt as follows:

drop table if exists tt;

create table tt (

owner                   varchar(30)

,object_name             varchar(30)

,subobject_name          varchar(30)

,object_id               bigint

,data_object_id          bigint

,object_type             varchar(19)

,created                 timestamp

,last_ddl_time           timestamp

,timestamp2               varchar(19)

,status                  varchar(7)

,temporary2              varchar(1)

,generated               varchar(1)

,secondary               varchar(1)

,namespace               bigint

,edition_name            varchar(30)

,padding1                varchar(4000)

,padding2                varchar(3500)

,attribute               varchar(32)

,op_type                 int

,op_time                 timestamp

)

CLUSTERED BY (object_id) INTO 256 BUCKETS

STORED AS ORC

TBLPROPERTIES ( "orc.compress"="SNAPPY",

"transactional"="true",

"orc.create.index"="true",

"orc.bloom.filter.columns"="object_id",

"orc.bloom.filter.fpp"="0.05",

"orc.stripe.size"="268435456",

"orc.row.index.stride"="10000" )

;

INSERT INTO TABLE tt

SELECT

          owner

        , object_name

        , subobject_name

        , object_id

        , data_object_id

        , object_type

        , cast(created AS timestamp)

        , cast(last_ddl_time AS timestamp)

        , timestamp2

        , status

        , temporary2

        , generated

        , secondary

        , namespace

        , edition_name

        , padding1

        , padding2

        , attribute

        , op_type

        , op_time

FROM t

;

exit;

And tried delete again and got the same error!

delete from tt where exists(select 1 from t where tt.object_id = t.object_id);

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10294]: Attempt to do update or delete using transaction manager that does not support these operations. (state=42000,code=10294)

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliot West <te...@gmail.com>.
What concurrency properties do you have set? Should look something like
those described here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+Transactions#HiveTransactions-Configuration

Posted by Elliot West <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi,