Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by Janus Chow <yi...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/04 02:58:50 UTC

Disscuss of enabling READ audit log by default

Hi Ozone dev,

When checking the audit logs from Ozone components, we found that by
default Ozone only logs WRITE operations. In order to enable the audit log
for READ operations, we need to change the configurations in
audit-log4j2.properties.
That brings some confusion for users when comparing it to some other
storage systems, like HDFS, in which audit logs are enabled for both READ
and WRITE by default.

We have a Jira ticket(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDDS-6532) and
PR (https://github.com/apache/ozone/pull/3255) about adding audit logs for
READ operations by default.
Could you help to check and comment if there are any specific concerns
not to enable READ audit logs?

Yiyang
Thank you very much.

Re: Disscuss of enabling READ audit log by default

Posted by Hui Fei <fe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for starting this discussion.
I also prefer to enable READ audit.
In my experience data security is very important.

Janus Chow <yi...@gmail.com> 于2022年4月4日周一 10:59写道:

Posted by Janus Chow <yi...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

    The feature to exclude certain operations for audit log is ready: https://github.com/apache/ozone/pull/3289 <https://github.com/apache/ozone/pull/3289>
    Please help to review.

    We also noticed it might be inconvenient for users to update the configuration, since it needs to restart the service to reload the configurations.
    So we also build a dynamic refresh feature to refresh the configuration, will raise the ticket after the above PR finishes.
    Also hope to get reviewed.

Thanks
Symious

Posted by Janus Chow <yi...@gmail.com>.