Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Krish <kr...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/07 07:47:04 UTC

Pros and cons of dockerizing kafka brokers?

Hi,
I am currently testing a custom docker volume driver plugin for AWS EFS/EBS
access and mounting. So, running kafka broker inside a container makes will
ease up a lot of configuration issues wrt storage for me.

Are there any pros and cons of dockerizing kafka broker?
Off the top of my head, since kafka forms the base of our setup, I can
think of making is use the host networking stack, and increase ulimits for
the container.
I would like to know if and when kafka becomes greedy and cannibalizes
resources; I can also ensure that it runs on a dedicated machine.

Thanks.

Best,
Krish