Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Russel Winder <ru...@concertant.com> on 2008/11/09 07:14:18 UTC

Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development vs. Open/Federated Commons

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 04:35 +0000, John Spackman wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I am prepared to upgrade Jelly to Maven2 (not that I know much about what
> that involves, yet) and to improve the website but I have to be confident
> that the changes will happen quickly and easily, and that the project will
> not be retired.  Please don't get me wrong - I am very grateful for your
> offer to apply patches etc sent via JIRA but I am cautious as I think of the
> potential extra work that would entail and how much simpler it would be if I
> could just issue an SVN commit.
[ . . . ]

Forgive me for butting in on a conversation but . . .

Isn't this whole Subversion centralism problem solved by using a DVCS
such as Bazaar, or Git -- and soon, I gather, Mercurial.

Bazaar and Git can both be used as Subversion clients, using the bzr-svn
and git-svn plugins respectively -- and I believe Mercurial will getting
equivalent capability in the future.  A Bazaar branch and a Git
repository carry the entire history, can be rebased, can be used to
create patches, and indeed you can commit to a Subversion repository
direct from a branch or repository.

For a couple of my projects, Codehaus is the host so the central
mainline is a Subversion repository.  However most work is done using
Bazaar or Git since people do not need an account to be able to work
using a full VCS.  Using a DVCS makes working on a FOSS project truly
open.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077

Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development vs. Open/FederatedCommons

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:05 AM, Russel Winder
<ru...@concertant.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 17:27 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Russel Winder
>> <ru...@concertant.com> wrote:
>> <big-snip/>
>>
>> I think the bulk of this message would have been better off in a new
>> thread, marked [OT].
>
> Possibly but I didn't think of it.  On other lists that would have been
> seen as inappropriate.  So many lists, so many different protocols :-)

<snip/>

Understandable :-)

>> Some of these discussions have been happening at the ASF, on a more
>> appropriate list whose public archives are here:
>>
>>   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-dev/
>
> OK, it seems like Apache have already made the decision to go with Git,
> it appears to be the only DVCS mentioned in the posts.

<snap/>

There have been discussions mainly involving Git, but no such decision
has been made (and IMO, neither is it imminent).

-Rahul

Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development vs. Open/FederatedCommons

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@concertant.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
<ru...@concertant.com> wrote:
<big-snip/>

I think the bulk of this message would have been better off in a new
thread, marked [OT].

Some of these discussions have been happening at the ASF, on a more
appropriate list whose public archives are here:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-dev/

> I guess I am in the "XML is a data specification language and has no
> right having a computational model, that's what dynamic languages like
> Groovy, Python and Ruby are for." camp, so I don't see the demise of
> Jelly as a problem.
>
> Of course graceful demise is entirely appropriate.  The question I have
> is whether putting effort into maintaining a demising system is worth it
> compared to putting that effort into transferring to a different (more
> appropriate, in my view) technology for dealing with the problem.  There
> are some very nice candidates for Ant and Maven replacements out there:
> Gant, Gradle and Buildr to name the obvious trio. (Disclosure:  I work
> on Gant and Gradle :-) These provides for scripting rather than having
> to create a plugin.
<snap/>

The fact is, any component in Commons Proper will continue to live on
as long as folks contribute to it (and contributions are welcome for
any part of Commons). Other options are often available, but thats
besides the point if folks care to continue contributing.

-Rahul

Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development vs. Open/FederatedCommons

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@concertant.com>.
John,

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 05:28 +0000, John Spackman wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I think you're talking about a different "problem" - Jelly is used for far
> more than Ant/Maven replacement (I don't usually use either) and maintaining
> it is not an altruistic choice for me, but a practical one because I find it
> so very useful.

Well that implies continued existence which implies Apache should not
retire it but allow those people who are prepared to maintain it some
mechanism to maintain and release.

But then I am pretty much an outsider here.

Posted by John Spackman <jo...@zenesis.com>.
Hi Russel,

>Of course graceful demise is entirely appropriate.  The question I have
>is whether putting effort into maintaining a demising system is worth it
>compared to putting that effort into transferring to a different (more
>appropriate, in my view) technology for dealing with the problem.  There
>are some very nice candidates for Ant and Maven replacements out there:

I think you're talking about a different "problem" - Jelly is used for far
more than Ant/Maven replacement (I don't usually use either) and maintaining
it is not an altruistic choice for me, but a practical one because I find it
so very useful.

John

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@concertant.com>.
John,

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 06:11 +0000, John Spackman wrote:
[ . . . ]
> >Isn't this whole Subversion centralism problem solved by using a DVCS
> >such as Bazaar, or Git -- and soon, I gather, Mercurial.
>
> Yes, kind of - I've only recently come across Git and the concept of DVCS
> but it was my intention to look at using a DVCS for this.

Bazaar is probably easier for Subversion users to get used to as the
command set is more aligned with that of Subversion.  (The same goes for
Mercurial, but it's Subversion interworking is not yet usable for
production working as far as I know.)

> But DVCS "only" does source code - setting up a seperate branch only works
> if the community at large see the new branch, whereas the Commons group are
> considering marking Jelly as "No Longer Maintained" and moving the
> repository out of the main branch.

I tend to use Launchpad as a place to store Bazaar branches where the
host of the Subversion repository cannot support Bazaar.  GitHub seems
to be the place to store a Git repository in a similar circumstance.

A word of warning:  Using Bazaar or Git as a Subversion client is not
the same as using them as fully-fledged DVCS.  The need to rebase so as
to remain consistent with the Subversion repository means that  many of
the aspects of workflow of using DVCS have to be amended.  A Bazaar
branch of a Subversion repository or a Git clone of a Subversion
repository must always be treated as a view on the Subversion repository
and not used as a free standing branch/repository.

<light-marketing>
If anyone is in Oxford, UK 2009-04 then you might think about attending
the ACCU 2009 conference.  Jim Hague, Time Penhey and myself are doing a
session on DVCS.
</light-marketing>

Posted by John Spackman <jo...@zenesis.com>.
Fair comment; I've created a seperate JIRA entry JELLY-286 so that this
conversation is kept seperate from the issues themselves and because it gets
virtually impossible to seperate subsequent patches.

I've started going through the JIRA issues from the top and have done 17 so
far; the patch in JELLY-286 fixes 5 bugs, and AFAICT many of the other 12
issues can be recategorised.  Here's my list:

230 "Problem with default namespace in imported scripts" - NOTABUG
187 "Wrong composite expression evaluation" - FIXED
180 "ClassLoader Problems with XMLParser and XMLParser reuse" - DUPLICATE 44
184 "Using namespace-prefixes breaks Jelly" - FIXED
170 "Nested scripts should be compiled and cached" - IMPRACTICAL
193 & 167 "add 'public JellyContext newEmptyJellyContext()' to
JellyContext" - Pending patch being applied
165 "CatchTag closest from java tryCatch block (with expected exceptions
list)" - FIXED
163 "Allow Expressions to throw exceptions" - FIXED
144 "XMLParser should not depend on JellyContext" - POSTPONED (requires more
consideration and anyway would mandate API changes)
143 "Support for pluggable expression languages" - POSTPONED
121 "Policy for output of lexical XML data" - POSTPONED
188 "Core should have a forTokens tag" - POSTPONED (what conclusion from
comments in JIRA?)
112 "Create Script from SAX events" - NOTABUG
 44 "[jelly] ClassLoader Problems with XMLParser and XMLParser reuse" -
POSTPONED
 82 "Add UseVector tag" - POSTPONED (no response from submitter)
 13 "Jelly should throw an exception if an unknown tag is used in a
TagLibrary" - FIXED

Regards,
John

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
> We're converging John here,
>
> I'll try to keep up with patches and commits in order for you to become a
> committer.
> Henri, can you please agree that we "try to make jelly enter a maintained
> mode", within a month or so, before we show "not actively maintained" on the
> web-page?

<snip/>

I think that'd be quite appropriate, if you wanted to.

-Rahul

Re: [jelly] Is jelly still in development vs. Open/FederatedCommons

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
We're converging John here,

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
John,

Posted by John Spackman <jo...@zenesis.com>.
Hi Russel,

> Forgive me for butting in on a conversation but . . .

Anytime :)