Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> on 2019/10/08 19:50:28 UTC

[build system] IMPORTANT! northern california fire danger, potential power outage(s)

here in the lovely bay area, we are currently experiencing some
absolutely lovely weather:  temps around 20C, light winds, and not a
drop of moisture anywhere.

this means that wildfire season is here, and our utilities company
(PG&E) is very concerned about fires like last year's Camp Fire
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fire_(2018)), the 2018 fires
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_California_wildfires) and 2017
fires (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_California_wildfires).

because conditions are absolutely perfect for wildfires, we may lose
power here in berkeley tomorrow and thursday.

there will be little to no notice of then this might happen, and if it
does that means that jenkins will most definitely go down.

i will continue to keep a close eye on this and give updates as they
happen.  sadly, the pg&e website is down because they apparently
didn't think that they needed load balancers.  :\

shane
--
Shane Knapp
UC Berkeley EECS Research / RISELab Staff Technical Lead

Re: [build system] IMPORTANT! northern california fire danger, potential power outage(s)

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.
That is great news!!!

Shane, have a good trip!

Xiao

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> finally, some good news!  power was just restored to campus.
>
> i'm about to leave town, but jon (CCed) will be heading down to power
> things up soon and we should hopefully be building in the next 3-4
> hours.
>
> the initial build queue will be massive, so he will purge it before
> enabling builds.  this means any open PRs will need to be retriggered.
> please don't do this until *after* you get the notice that jenkins is
> up.
>
> thanks for your patience,
>
> shane
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:05 AM Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> >
> > another quick update:
> >
> > campus lost power ~1130pm, and is closed for the entirety of today.
> >
> > no word on power restoration, campus status, etc etc.
> >
> > updates as they come.  :\
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 2:34 PM Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > quick update:
> > >
> > > campus is losing power @ 8pm.  this is after we were told 4am, 8am,
> > > noon, and 2-4pm.  :)
> > >
> > > PG&E expects to start bringing alameda county back online at noon
> > > tomorrow, but i believe that target to be fluid and take longer than
> > > expected.
> > >
> > > this means that the earliest that we can bring the build system back
> > > up is friday, but there's a much greater than non-zero chance of this
> > > not happening until monday morning.  i will be leaving town for the
> > > weekend friday afternoon, which means i won't be physically present to
> > > turn on all of our servers in the colo (about ~80 servers including
> > > jenkins) until monday.
> > >
> > > more updates as they come.  thanks for your patience!

> count

> not a

> company
> 2017

> lose

> if it

> they

> --
> Shane Knapp
> UC Berkeley EECS Research / RISELab Staff Technical Lead
> https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu

[image: Databricks Summit - Watch the talks]
<https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america>

Re: [build system] IMPORTANT! northern california fire danger, potential power outage(s)

Posted by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
thanks jon!

Posted by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
another quick update:

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the updates!

Posted by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
quick update:

Posted by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
jenkins is going down now.

Posted by Shane Knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
quick update:

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.
Hi, Shane,

Thank you for letting us know in advance!

Xiao