Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-one.net> on 2002/12/01 00:04:52 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

At 06:08 PM 11.30.2002 -0500, Chris Meadors wrote:
>Bryan Cassidy wrote:
>> OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
>> help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
>> what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
>> info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
>> dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
>> it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
>> restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
>> there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
>> make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
>> restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
>> so ever would be appreciated.
>
>Get a static IP address?
>
>Or get a port forwarding router/firewall that connects to the Internet,
>and forwards connections to port 80 to your server running Apache.  That
>machine would have to be smart enough to rebuild the forwarding rules
>every time your IP changed (most broad band routers can do this), but
>you'll also need something that can connect to dyndns and update your
>record automatically.  A Linux or BSD box acting as a router would be
>able to do this with any problem.
>
>--
>Chris

You just need to do more homework. There are scripts, usually suggested by
such dynamic DNS services that your system runs automatically to update
when an IP is changed..... There is a great one (ddclient) right the in
ports that runs as a daemon to do this.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator