Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/06/28 19:20:38 UTC

MetaCrawler and the MetaSpy (fwd)

http://www.metacrawler.com/

	HTTP/1.1 200 OK
	Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 17:16:20 GMT
	Server: ApacheCrawler/1.2.0 mod_perl/0.99
	Last-Modified: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 03:34:52 GMT
	ETag: "b4c84-b8e-33b4865c"

[It looks like the wacky self-moderation scheme at c.i.w.a.cgi
doesn't allow crossposting, so this is going to the rest of the
intended groups.  Man, step away from Usenet for a little while
and it's a whole new world when you get back... followups still
trimmed to comp.infosystems.www.misc.]

We at go2net, operators of the MetaCrawler metasearch engine
MetaSpy, where you can observe some of the ongoing searches in
real time.  It's amusing to watch, I recommend.

To ontopicalize this for c.i.w.[authoring.cgi|servers.unix], I'd
also like to mention that the MetaCrawler is really just a blown
out Apache server, with the metacrawling code all written as a C++
Apache module and the MetaSpy and various other elements written
in Perl and run under mod_perl.  I highly recommend mod_perl for
all your web hacking needs, it's been great fun to work with and
slashes development time.  For more on mod_perl, see

I have no role in mod_perl development, I just think it's cool.
Of course the size of our Apache binary with all this stuff in it
is frightening to behold, but hey, it's only memory.

--
Paul Phillips      | Practice acting random and sense a kind of beauty.
Cat Juggler        |