Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Shashidhar Rao <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/14 07:18:06 UTC

Research ideas using spark

Hi,

I am doing my PHD thesis on large scale machine learning e.g  Online
learning, batch and mini batch learning.

Could somebody help me with ideas especially in the context of Spark and to
the above learning methods.

Some ideas like improvement to existing algorithms, implementing new
features especially the above learning methods and algorithms that have not
been implemented etc.

If somebody could help me with some ideas it would really accelerate my
work.

Plus few ideas on research papers regarding Spark or Mahout.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Re: Research ideas using spark

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
Try to repartition it to a higher number (at least 3-4 times the total # of
cpu cores). What operation are you doing? It may happen that if you are
doing a join/groupBy sort of operation that task which is taking time is
having all the values, in that case you need to use a Partitioner which
will evenly distribute the keys across machines to speed up things.

Thanks
Best Regards

Posted by Ravindra <ra...@gmail.com>.
Look at this :
http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisabrownlee/2015/07/10/the-11-trillion-internet-of-things-big-data-and-pattern-of-life-pol-analytics/

Posted by shahid ashraf <sh...@trialx.com>.
Sorry Guys!

I mistakenly added my question to this thread( Research ideas using spark).
Moreover people can ask any question , this spark user group is for that.

Cheers!
šŸ˜Š

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Robin East <ro...@xense.co.uk> wrote:

> Well said Will. I would add that you might want to investigate GraphChi
> which claims to be able to run a number of large-scale graph processing
> tasks on a workstation much quicker than a very large Hadoop cluster. It
> would be interesting to know how widely applicable the approach GraphChi
> takes and what implications it has for parallel/distributed computing
> approaches. A rich seam to mine indeed.
>
> Robin
>
> On 15 Jul 2015, at 14:48, William Temperley <wi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> There seems to be a bit of confusion here - the OP (doing the PhD) had the
> thread hijacked by someone with a similar name asking a mundane question.
>
> It would be a shame to send someone away so rudely, who may do valuable
> work on Spark.
>
> Sashidar (not Sashid!) I'm personally interested in running graph
> algorithms for image segmentation using MLib and Spark.  I've got many
> questions though - like is it even going to give me a speed-up?  (
> http://www.frankmcsherry.org/graph/scalability/cost/2015/01/15/COST.html)
>
> It's not obvious to me which classes of graph algorithms can be
> implemented correctly and efficiently in a highly parallel manner.  There's
> tons of work to be done here, I'm sure. Also, look at parallel geospatial
> algorithms - there's a lot of work being done on this.
>
> Best, Will
>

> On 15 July 2015 at 09:01, Vineel Yalamarthy <vi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel
>>
>> Well said
>>
>> Regards
>> Vineel
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015, 6:11 AM Daniel Darabos <
>> daniel.darabos@lynxanalytics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Shahid,
>>> To be honest I think this question is better suited for Stack Overflow
>>> than for a PhD thesis.

with Regards
Shahid Ashraf

Re: Research ideas using spark

Posted by Robin East <ro...@xense.co.uk>.

Posted by William Temperley <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vineel Yalamarthy <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel

Posted by Daniel Darabos <da...@lynxanalytics.com>.
Hi Shahid,

Posted by shahid ashraf <sh...@trialx.com>.
hi

--
with Regards
Shahid Ashraf

Re: Research ideas using spark

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@hotmail.com>.
Okā€¦

After having some off-line exchanges with Shashidhar Rao came up with an ideaā€¦

Apply machine learning to either implement or improve autoscaling up or down within a Storm/Akka cluster.

While I donā€™t know what constitutes an acceptable PhD thesis, or senior project for undergradsā€¦ this is a real life problem that actually has some real value.

First, storm doesnā€™t scale down.  Unless thereā€™s been some improvements in the last year, you really canā€™t easily scale down the number of workers and transfer state to another worker.
Looking at Akka, that would be an easier task because of the actor model. However, I donā€™t know Akka that well, so I canā€™t say if this is already implemented.

So besides the mechanism to scale (up and down), you then have the issue of machine learning in terms of load and how to properly scale.
This could be as simple as a PID function that watches the queues between spout/bolts and bolt/bolt, or something more advanced. This is where the research part of the project comes in. (What do you monitor, and how do you calculate and determine when to scale up or down, weighing in the cost(s) of the action of scaling.)

Again its a worthwhile project, something that actually has business value, especially in terms of Lambda and other groovy greek lettered names for cluster designs (Zeta? ;-) )
Where you have both M/R (computational) and subjective real time (including micro batch) occurring either on the same cluster or within the same DC infrastructure.

Again I donā€™t know if this is worthy of a PhD thesis, Masters Thesis, or Senior Project, but it is something that one could sink oneā€™s teeth into and potentially lead to a commercial grade project if done properly.

Good luck with it.

HTH

-Mike

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.