Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Joshua Moody <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/18 14:19:26 UTC

Sentiment Analysis Project

I want to know more about what is possible with sentiment analysis.
Specifically, in an application in which the content providers are
relatively static, always known, and often provide opinions on the same
topic. I would like to systematically discern the opinion of the content
providers to show a trend.  Reviewer A is anti-citrus fruits and pro-apples
as seen by these 10 reviews.  The end goal is to reveal more about the
content providers by consistently analyzing their sentiments.

Please advise on how UIMA could assist in this project.  I am a software
developer looking at multiple text engineering applications to build on.

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Sentiment Analysis Project

Posted by Jessica Glover <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joshua,

I think the main selling points are that Apache UIMA would allow you to
modularize the tasks in your application, and that for each NLP task, there
are numerous open-source UIMA annotators available that would allow you to
build a starter pipeline you could improve upon by building and training
your own custom annotators, or finding different, perhaps better (for your
domain), open-source annotators that perform the same task. For me, the
customizable, modular "plug-and-play" nature of UIMA pipelines has been
essential to optimizing performance.

In short, anything is possible with sentiment analysis in UIMA! But UIMA
itself doesn't DO the sentiment analysis.

- Jessica