Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by IAS <ca...@iasandcb.pe.kr> on 2002/10/23 04:01:25 UTC

The first (brief) report on migrating Cactus document build system from stylebook to Anakia

[Sorry to have failed to send this message twice. This is my third
submission.]
As I promised, I tried Anakia shortly for new Cactus document build
system. Here's my test environment:
WindowsXP
JDK 1.4.1 endorsed by Xerces 2.2.0 and Xalan 2.4.0
Ant 1.5.1
Commons-collections 2.1
Log4J 1.2.7
Velocity 1.3

You can download the tested files at
http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/projects/cactus/jakarta-cactus-test.zip .
The compressed file includes all you need to build. First make some
directory for testing, extract the file to the directory, and type "ant"
in the directory.

As you can see the result, index.html in docs directory, the mechanism
is based on Jakarta-Site2 with Anakia. It seems pretty simple and even
like de facto standard for Jakarta project documentation. However, I
realized that Anakia isn't going with not XSLT but Velocity Template
Technology (VSL). Therefore, we need to transform document2html.xsl to
site.vsl fundamentally, or just XML files in cactus manually to conform
to site.vsl.
In my opinion, although it may become fairly painful to convert
(actually modify) every XML file for site.vsl syntax, I think it could
be better for the future indeed. Furthermore, I'm not telling you we
have to stick to the given site.vsl, but we are obviously able to add
features specific to Cactus project with compliance with Jakarta Site
main template.
The followings are some examples of differences between Jakarta site
template and Cactus stylesheet in terms of XML usage:
<properties>
    <author email="cactus@iasandcb.pe.kr">IAS</author>
    <title>Jakarta Cactus Test</title>
  </properties>
<->
<header>
    <title>Jakarta Cactus Test</title>
    <subtitle>Server-Side Unit Testing Framework</subtitle> <-- not
supported -->
    <authors>
      <person name="IAS" email="cactus@iasandcb.pe.kr"/>
    </authors>
  </header>

<section name="Section Test">
<->
<s1 title="Section Test">

<->
<link href="index.html">

Thanks much in advance for your opinion.

P.S. If you agree to abide by Jakarta Site template, I'll submit a
transformed index.xml in cactus for this new documentation system.

IAS

Independent Java Technology Evangelist
http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr

Jakarta Seoul Project Coordinator