Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Evan Rempel <er...@uvic.ca> on 2023/01/06 20:08:01 UTC

Tomcat 10 and Java versions

This must have been covered in a previous discussion but I could not
find it.

Everything I read about Tomcat 10.1 say it has moved to Jakarta EE, but
I also read that Tomcat 10.1 runs on/requires "Java 11+".

This does not make sense to me so I have questions

- Does Tomcat 10.1 run on Java 11+ BUT the webapps require Jakarta EE -
how does that even work?

- Does Java 11+ implement Jakarta EE api?

- Does Tomcat 10.1 actually require Jakarta EE 11+

I don't need those specific questions answered but if someone could
outline the actual requirements of Tomcat 10.1 and the relationship of
Jakarta EE and Java and the webapps within the context of Tomcat 10.1, I
would both appreciate it and sleep better :-)

--
Evan

Re: Tomcat 10 and Java versions

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Evan,

On 1/6/23 15:08, Evan Rempel wrote:
> This must have been covered in a previous discussion but I could not
> find it.
>
> Everything I read about Tomcat 10.1 say it has moved to Jakarta EE, but
> I also read that Tomcat 10.1 runs on/requires "Java 11+".
>
> This does not make sense to me so I have questions
>
> - Does Tomcat 10.1 run on Java 11+ BUT the webapps require Jakarta EE -
> how does that even work?
>
> - Does Java 11+ implement Jakarta EE api?
>
> - Does Tomcat 10.1 actually require Jakarta EE 11+
>

> I don't need those specific questions answered but if someone could
> outline the actual requirements of Tomcat 10.1 and the relationship of
> Jakarta EE and Java and the webapps within the context of Tomcat 10.1, I
> would both appreciate it and sleep better :-)

This should answer all your versioning questions:
https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

As for the others (repeated here):

> - Does Tomcat 10.1 run on Java 11+ BUT the webapps require Jakarta EE
> - how does that even work?
The version of Java and the version of Jakarta are somewhat de-coupled.
The Jakarta EE spec says "you must use Java X" for each release. We have
followed their lead.

 > - Does Java 11+ implement Jakarta EE api?

Not even a little bit. Jakarta EE is a specification for APIs that are
completely separate from whatever ships in Java.

 > - Does Tomcat 10.1 actually require Jakarta EE 11+

Tomcat 10.1 /implements/ the servet-container (and related parts) of
Jakarta EE 11. Your web application must(*) be written against those
APIs (e.g. jakarta.*) and not the old Java EE APIs (javax.*).

-chris

* - Okay, Tomcat is awesome and will auto-upgrade your web dusty old
application from Java EE to Jakarta EE on deployment. But you should
really do the search-and-replace yourself and build a proper Jakarta EE
webapp.