Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2005/07/18 10:16:21 UTC

[Cargo] Heads up on the m2 migration

Hi,

Just a quick heads-up listing the blocking points for the m2 migration of
the cargo project:

- No fail-build-on-checkstyle-violation feature

- Missing Clirr plugin for m2. I've just added it to the matrix list.
Although it's not yet automated in m1 build, I'm using it at each delivery
to list all the binary compatibility violations and explain why. See
http://cargo.codehaus.org/Release+notes+for+Cargo+0.5

- Is it possible to upload artifacts created with m2 to an m1 repo? For
example, I need the cargo m1 plugin to be deployed by an m2 build to the
right location in the ibiblio m1 repo. Note that we don't want to drop
support for the cargo m1 plugin yet. I think that will be a common use case
for a while.

- No jarjar feature to aggregate *and* publish the aggregated jar to a maven
repo *and* make the aggregated jar a proper dependency for other modules.

- EAR plugin and ear packaging. This is being fixed as Stephane as published
a patch to JIRA and he's now going to get commit privs! Cool :-)

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I've found so far.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [Cargo] Heads up on the m2 migration

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <fo...@neonics.com>.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Vincent Massol wrote:

Hi Vincent,

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick heads-up listing the blocking points for the m2 migration of
> the cargo project:
>
> - No jarjar feature to aggregate *and* publish the aggregated jar to a maven
> repo *and* make the aggregated jar a proper dependency for other modules.

In part this can be resolved using a plugin with a custom lifecycle (and
thus a custom packaging). The dependencies can go in the plugin
configuration so they won't be an issue, however they can't be resolved
(so relative paths could be used).
I don't know if m2 will work using custom packaging schemes yet - it might
not know the file extension of the new dependency. It seems all of this is
hardcoded right now.

So this is a real problem, and your use case does seem valid to me.
This could collectively be labeled 'project-private artifacts'...

--
Kenney Westerhof
http://www.neonics.com

Re: [Cargo] Heads up on the m2 migration

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
You have rights now.

Emmanuel

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Sure. I don't seem to have dev rights on Jira though. Do I need to
contact somebody?

Thanks,
Stéphane

On 7/18/05, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> Can you add some issues for this features and assign them to you?
>
> Emmanuel
>
> Stephane Nicoll wrote:
> > Hello Vincent,
> >

> >>- EAR plugin and ear packaging. This is being fixed as Stephane as published
> >>a patch to JIRA and he's now going to get commit privs! Cool :-)
> >

> > AFAIK, it has been applied now so it should be ok. Regarding EAR
> > plugin and EAR packaging in general, It would be very nice to have
> > concrete use cases to improve the ear plugin.
> >
> > Things to in that matter are the following (I will work on that in a
> > pretty much short timeframe):
> >
> > * Support of custom context-root
> > * Support of custom module location in the EAR file
> > * Improvment of the exclusion/inclusion mechanism: for now this is
> > working based on dependencies wich are neither test nor the new
> > compile-only thingie (i forgot the name)
> >
> > Jars needs also to be handled nicely, we need to diferenciate from a
> > the application.xml and a 'simple' library.
> >
> > So, Vincent, if you have concrete use cases, please let us know.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Stéphane

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [Cargo] Heads up on the m2 migration

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
Stephane,

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello Vincent,