Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by suny_reddy <su...@mettoni.com> on 2011/09/15 16:02:26 UTC

TTL versus Persistent messages

Hi,

I am using latest versions ActiveMQ 5.6.0 Snapshot and ActiveMQ-CPP 3.4.0.

I am having a publisher and durable Subscriber applications. I am sending
persistent messages from publisher with Time-to-live as 1 day. As subscriber
is durable, whenever it is connected within 1day time period, it is
receiving messages. What will happen to the messages at server level after
delivered to subscriber? I am sure after TTL expired, messages are deleted,
but what happens if messages were delivered immediately. Logically as there
are no further subscribed durable consumers, messages should be deleted
after delivered even TTL is not expired right? Is it happening in the same
way.

Will any one of you please confirm me if it is happening in the same way or
Server waits until TTL expires and then deletes messages irrespective of
durable subscriber/s.

Thanks & Regards
Suneel

Re: TTL versus Persistent messages

Posted by Torsten Mielke <to...@fusesource.com>.
The message gets deleted from persistent store shortly after it was consumed by the client (that is acked by the consumer) irrespective of its time to live setting.
Only when the msgs sits on a queue for a day, it will be deleted because of its time to live property.

Hope that answers your question.

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com