Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Durham David R Jr Ctr 805 CSPTS/SCE <Da...@scott.af.mil> on 2005/06/16 21:30:30 UTC

tiles -- current source and exception handling

First, I'm having some difficulty locating the current source code for
tiles.  I recall a post about it being in a state of transition of some
kind, but I'm not sure about the details of that.  Anyway, I would like
to request some changes to tiles exception handling.

1) In general, the tiles insert tag handler that executes the
corresponding controller seems to catch all exceptions and wrap them in
a JspException without the root cause.  It would be nice to have the
root cause.

2) The tiles insert tag catches all exceptions, I think with just a
simple catch(Exception ...  I would rather it not catch and rewrap
unchecked runtime exceptions such as
net.sf.acegisecurity.AccessDeniedException, but if it absolutely must
catch them, at least include the root cause in the new Exception being
thrown.

Maybe I'm a little bit off with the exact semantics because I'm not of
the location of the most recent tiles source, but do these requests make
sense?

Thanks in advance.

- Dave

Re: tiles -- current source and exception handling

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 6/16/05, Durham David R Jr Ctr 805 CSPTS/SCE
<Da...@scott.af.mil> wrote:
> First, I'm having some difficulty locating the current source code for
> tiles.  I recall a post about it being in a state of transition of some
> kind, but I'm not sure about the details of that.  Anyway, I would like
> to request some changes to tiles exception handling.

The reason the code is this way today is because Struts 1.2.x and
earlier are supported on Servlet 2.2 containers, and the root cause
for JspException was not introduced until the Servlet 2.3 spec.

This changes with Struts 1.3.x, where we're supporting only Servlet
2.3 containers and higher, so, as James indicated, feel free to create
an issue in the bug tracker. An attached patch will encourage us to
get the change in more quickly. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by James Holmes <ja...@jamesholmes.com>.
Hey David,

The code for Struts 1.2.x releases is under the
STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH\src\share\org\apache\struts\tiles.

The 1.3 code is under the tiles directory off the toplevel.

The best way to get some code changes into Struts it to open a ticket in
bugzilla and attach a patch file using the diff command.  Committers can
then review the patch and if deemed worthwhile, will commit it.

James