Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "js.w" <js...@gmx.net> on 2010/02/19 17:53:02 UTC

ActiveMQ looses messages under windows 2003

Hi,

In the last few days I've tried several configurations on several servers
and saw some rather unusual results which I can't really figure out.
I have a simple scenario for the JMS Server. A process adds about 10k
messages (about 1kb size each) to a queue. A second process reads all the
messages and acknowledges them by auto-ack (I also tried explicit confirms).
I tried this scenario on 2 different machines with different results. On
Linux, all messages are passed on exactly as expected. On Windows on the
other hand quite a lot of the messages (about 10%) get lost. The sender
successfully sends 10k messages and has 10k message-ids. The web-interface
on the other hand only shows something about 9k messages in the queue and
the next worker only gets the 9k messages delivered.
Both environments have the same version of Java, ActiveMQ and config.

So far I can only exclude the client as cause, because on Linux and Windows,
both behave the same way. So the problem should exist somewhere in the
server part.

machine 1:
 64bit debian testing
 ActiveMQ 5.3
 changed the config to disable flowcontrol (otherwise config left
untouched)
 Java 6

machine 2:
 32 Windows 2003 (sp2)
 ActiveMQ 5.3
 changed the config to disable flowcontrol (otherwise config left
untouched)
 Java 6

PS: I already tried the following connection parameters without any luck
   optimizedMessageDispatch
   useCompression
     On the server side I tried different stores (kahaDB, Oracle,Postgres)
-> all with the same result
   I also tried running the Server with Java5 which also had no effect on
the behavior.

Does anybody have a clue or idea where the problem lies or how to explain
the discrepancy?

Thanks in advance.
Regards, jens

Re: ActiveMQ looses messages under windows 2003

Posted by "js.w" <js...@gmx.net>.
Using the examples was I good tip, didn't know that one.

When I used these, no messages got lost. Producer and Consumer always had
the same count of messages.

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
one though, to alleviate any potential problem in the application code, it
may be worth trying the example
<http://activemq.apache.org/examples.html>producer and consumer from
both boxes.

On 19 February 2010 16:53, js.w <js...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the last few days I've tried several configurations on several servers
> and saw some rather unusual results which I can't really figure out.
> I have a simple scenario for the JMS Server. A process adds about 10k
> messages (about 1kb size each) to a queue. A second process reads all the
> messages and acknowledges them by auto-ack (I also tried explicit
> confirms).
> I tried this scenario on 2 different machines with different results. On
> Linux, all messages are passed on exactly as expected. On Windows on the
> other hand quite a lot of the messages (about 10%) get lost. The sender
> successfully sends 10k messages and has 10k message-ids. The web-interface
> on the other hand only shows something about 9k messages in the queue and
> the next worker only gets the 9k messages delivered.
> Both environments have the same version of Java, ActiveMQ and config.
>
> So far I can only exclude the client as cause, because on Linux and
> Windows,
> both behave the same way. So the problem should exist somewhere in the
> server part.
>
> machine 1:
>  64bit debian testing
>  ActiveMQ 5.3
>  changed the config to disable flowcontrol (otherwise config left
> untouched)
>  Java 6
>
> machine 2:
>  32 Windows 2003 (sp2)
>  ActiveMQ 5.3
>  changed the config to disable flowcontrol (otherwise config left
> untouched)
>  Java 6
>
> PS: I already tried the following connection parameters without any luck
>   optimizedMessageDispatch
>   useCompression
>     On the server side I tried different stores (kahaDB, Oracle,Postgres)
> -> all with the same result
>   I also tried running the Server with Java5 which also had no effect on
> the behavior.
>
> Does anybody have a clue or idea where the problem lies or how to explain
> the discrepancy?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards, jens

http://blog.garytully.com