Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com> on 2000/10/11 18:35:00 UTC

mod_jk and 3.2 vs 3.3

Mike and Larry -

I notice that the main branch for Tomcat 3.3 still has the old version
of mod_jk-howto.html.  I imagine the same is true for Larry's other
changes to the 3.2 branch.

Shall I -

 * Ignore the 3.2 changes and incorporate Mike's mod_jk-howto.html
into the 3.3 branch?

 * Try to merge the 3.2 changes (being aware of hassles such as the
changing of directory structure and possible transcription errors)
into 3.3?

 * Wait for one of you to do one of the above?

I'm really annoyed -- well, that's too strong a word, let's say
uncomfortable -- with the fact that major, important changes are being
made to the 3.2 branch and not being incorporated into 3.3.

3.2 is already obsolete.  We need to ship it and move on.  If that
means there are glitches in 3.2, so be it.  People can just wait for
the next rev (which should happen much sooner, btw) or sync to CVS.
Statements like
> This needs
> to go in before 3.2 live!!!!!
are irresponsible and just promote the 3.2 legacy problem.

 - Alex

RE: mod_jk and 3.2 vs 3.3

Posted by Mike Bremford <mi...@paperx.com>.
Hi Alex

I can't comment on the process as a whole - I haven't been using Tomcat
long, am not a developer and don't claim to have a good overview of the
different versions, the code, the spec or even what I do from day to day.

That said, a lot of people don'r run beta software, period, and the "needs
to be fixed before 3.2 live" comment was related to mod_jk **failing to
build at all** on Solaris, Linux and probably every other version of Unix -
more of a showstopper than a glitch (IMHO).

Spending an extra week in the development cycle to "get it right" results in
an improved end-user experience when upgrading from 3.1, a better reputation
for quality and stability and and brings tomcat one step closer to WORLD
DOMINATION (da-dumm). But that's just my opinion, and it's worth precisely
what you paid for it :-)

That said, as I have quite clearly transgressed something somewhere, I shall
try and make amends by updating the mod_jk-howto to work with tomcat 3.3's
directory. I see you've just checked it in, great, I'm pulling down 3.3 now
and will have a look tomorrow. Because I've been working strictly on 3.2 up
until now I haven't seen build-unix.sh, but I'll have a look and try and
document what it does!

Cheers... Mike