Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ken Ramirez <kr...@mastermind.com> on 2002/02/27 06:11:27 UTC

ClassNotFoundException

Hope someone can help:

I have a TOMCAT app containing a servlet as follows:

<TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/MyApp/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycomp/MyServletClass.cl
ass

This class extends a base class that provides common functionality for
all of my apps, and is stored in:

<TOMCAT_HOME>/common/classes/com/mycomp/MyBaseServletClass.class  (which
extends HttpServlet)

Through some context information, the MyBaseServletClass receives the
classname of a class stored in my app's classes directory,
which it is responsible for creating an instance of, using
Class.forName().  This is the path of the class to be created:

<TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/MyApp/WEB-INF/classes/com/mycomp/MyOtherClass.clas

When the MyServletClass calls Class.forName, it fails with a
ClassNotFoundException, but if I move the MyServletClass
to the MyApp/WEB-INF/classes path, everything works fine.

What gives?  I thought that Tomcat reads adds the classes directory for
all of the apps deployed in the server.xml
(with Context info), which I defined as follows:

   <Context path="/MyApp" docBase="MyApp" debug="0" reloadable="true" />

Thanks,

Ken Ramirez - Principal/CTO
kramirez@mastermind.com

Master-Mind Consulting Services