Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2010/03/25 23:06:37 UTC

ruleqa: overlaps broken again, SVN URIs still broken

Justin:

The ruleqa overlap analysis isn't working again, and the rule detail ->
SVN URIs are still pointing at the old rules/trunk sandbox path.

   Phobias should not be the basis for laws.
  167 days since President Obama won the Nobel "Not George W. Bush" prize

Re: ruleqa: overlaps broken again, SVN URIs still broken

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Justin Mason wrote:

> that URI issue is now fixed.

Thanks!

> so it appears to be backlogged by 10 days. :(

I was wondering if that was the situation...

   Ignorance doesn't make stuff not exist.               -- Bucky Katt
  Tomorrow: April Fools' day

Re: ruleqa: overlaps broken again, SVN URIs still broken

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
hey John --

that URI issue is now fixed.

regarding overlap: the log file on spamassassin2 , /home/automc/freqsd/log ,
has this for the most recent OVERLAP file generation:

  creating: /export/home/ruleqadb/20100321/r925742-n/OVERLAP.new (OVERLAP)
  started Wed Mar 31 12:26:07 2010...

so it appears to be backlogged by 10 days. :(    It appears we don't
have the CPU
time to keep up with generating these on spamassassin2 this way.
I've stopped and restarted the freqsd anyway, in an effort to persuade
it to concentrate
on more recent logs.  (I have no idea if this will work.)

To fix the issue in the long term we can either:

a. split off work to another host (unlikely to be viable with ASF
infrastructure)

b. be more selective about the logs we generate overlaps from (it's already only
reporting on nightly logs alone, which is the main one we want)

c. change 'report-from-logs' to use more parallelism/background processing
(higher load, defeats the purpose of freqsd's batch processing model, more
complex code)

d. rewrite the overlap-generation code in hit-frequencies to be more efficient
(I've already spent a lot of effort on this, it's FAST perl.  C maybe?  anyway,
will take dev effort)

e. rewrite 'report-from-logs', 'freqsd' to be more selective about the log sets
it generates OVERLAP files from, get the more recent stuff built first.

thoughts guys?

--j.