Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/05 16:54:13 UTC

[VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Hello,

I would like call a vote for the Apache CloudStack 4.0.0 release, first round.

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is
made. Everyone is free to vote on this release.

We are voting on the beta6 release artifacts available under:

http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/cloudstack/4.0/

These artifacts have been built from the following tree-ish in Git:

33ae7ef3afee20247fc753c3e8bed766b0cd04e6

Please follow the test procedure before voting:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.0+test+procedure

Thank you.

Happy voting,

--Alex

RE: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
> Yes, you should call a vote expecting it to pass. Releases can't be vetoed, so it
> should be pretty serious objections to stop at that point.
>
> For the mechanism beyond that, it can go either way - communities I've been
> involved in generally reach some consensus by testing RC labeled bundles
> before voting on the final release. I find this helpful because otherwise you
> get votes mixed in with issues and it can be hard to ascertain what the result
> really is.
>
> I believe some others will vote earlier, and roll a new version number if the
> vote fails. These are typically mature projects that tend to have their votes
> succeed in most cases.
>
> I would avoid rolling 4.0.0 multiple times, as that is likely to cause confusion
> about which is the real one.
>
> Worth bearing in mind for the future too, you can certainly release
> something and label it alpha/beta/milestone and then release the GA later.
> Releases of source code don't attribute any particular meaning to its level of
> maturity, QA or marketability other than how you choose to label it.

Got it.  Thanks for the explanation there.  Looks like I jumped the gun on that call.  I'll reissue this once the current bugs are done.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/10/2012, at 1:33 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>> Alex,
>>>
>>> A couple of issues.
>>>
>>> First, we shouldn't be voting on the "beta" release artifacts.  I need to cut a
>>> proper 4.0.0 build for us to vote on.
>>>
>>> Second, there are still several bugs that I consider to be blockers outstanding
>>> right now.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, my vote is -1 for this VOTE thread, based on the reasons
>>> above.
>>
>> Chip,
>>
>> Can you cut a proper build?  This is for a first round of voting.  I don't expect the first round to pass but I like to put all this out there for people to test.  I understand a few bugs came in last night but I think the product is largely ready for people to test because QA testing is at 93% complete yesterday.
>>
>> After Wednesday discussion on IRC, I realized we should have been doing this already.  Technically we're really at fourth or fifth round now because QA has been taking builds and testing and has been in effect voting -1 on the release.  I've been running it like a enterprise-like release process and that's my fault for doing so.
>>
>> I think the next few rounds will come very quickly because we're only going to fix the blockers that we've found.
>>
>> --Alex
>

> IMO we shouldn't be voting if we don't expect it to pass. There are
> still a few problems that really need to be fixed before we kick
> something out the door.
> If I were to vote on the specfic beta6 build it would also be a -1(binding)

Yes, you should call a vote expecting it to pass. Releases can't be vetoed, so it should be pretty serious objections to stop at that point.

For the mechanism beyond that, it can go either way - communities I've been involved in generally reach some consensus by testing RC labeled bundles before voting on the final release. I find this helpful because otherwise you get votes mixed in with issues and it can be hard to ascertain what the result really is.

I believe some others will vote earlier, and roll a new version number if the vote fails. These are typically mature projects that tend to have their votes succeed in most cases.

I would avoid rolling 4.0.0 multiple times, as that is likely to cause confusion about which is the real one.

Worth bearing in mind for the future too, you can certainly release something and label it alpha/beta/milestone and then release the GA later. Releases of source code don't attribute any particular meaning to its level of maturity, QA or marketability other than how you choose to label it.

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Alex,
>>
>> A couple of issues.
>>
>> First, we shouldn't be voting on the "beta" release artifacts.  I need to cut a
>> proper 4.0.0 build for us to vote on.
>>
>> Second, there are still several bugs that I consider to be blockers outstanding
>> right now.
>>
>> Unfortunately, my vote is -1 for this VOTE thread, based on the reasons
>> above.
>
> Chip,
>
> Can you cut a proper build?  This is for a first round of voting.  I don't expect the first round to pass but I like to put all this out there for people to test.  I understand a few bugs came in last night but I think the product is largely ready for people to test because QA testing is at 93% complete yesterday.
>
> After Wednesday discussion on IRC, I realized we should have been doing this already.  Technically we're really at fourth or fifth round now because QA has been taking builds and testing and has been in effect voting -1 on the release.  I've been running it like a enterprise-like release process and that's my fault for doing so.
>
> I think the next few rounds will come very quickly because we're only going to fix the blockers that we've found.
>
> --Alex

IMO we shouldn't be voting if we don't expect it to pass. There are
still a few problems that really need to be fixed before we kick
something out the door.
If I were to vote on the specfic beta6 build it would also be a -1(binding)

--David

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Alex,
>>
>> A couple of issues.
>>
>> First, we shouldn't be voting on the "beta" release artifacts.  I need to cut a
>> proper 4.0.0 build for us to vote on.
>>
>> Second, there are still several bugs that I consider to be blockers outstanding
>> right now.
>>
>> Unfortunately, my vote is -1 for this VOTE thread, based on the reasons
>> above.
>
> Chip,
>
> Can you cut a proper build?  This is for a first round of voting.  I don't expect the first round to pass but I like to put all this out there for people to test.  I understand a few bugs came in last night but I think the product is largely ready for people to test because QA testing is at 93% complete yesterday.
>
> After Wednesday discussion on IRC, I realized we should have been doing this already.  Technically we're really at fourth or fifth round now because QA has been taking builds and testing and has been in effect voting -1 on the release.  I've been running it like a enterprise-like release process and that's my fault for doing so.
>
> I think the next few rounds will come very quickly because we're only going to fix the blockers that we've found.
>
> --Alex

Alex,

Great explanation of your intent.  Thanks.

I just sent out specifics that are causing my -1 vote.  I'd like to
see that we make some progress on those bugs before starting another
vote thread though...  I think that we can use this current thread to
find other people's concerns.

If we make a bunch of progress on the bugs I listed today, I don't
disagree with cutting a 4.0.0 version build and restarting a vote this
afternoon.

Fair?

RE: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CloudStack 4.0.0 release, first round.
>>
>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
>> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is
>> made. Everyone is free to vote on this release.
>>
>> We are voting on the beta6 release artifacts available under:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/cloudstack/4.0/
>>
>> These artifacts have been built from the following tree-ish in Git:
>>
>> 33ae7ef3afee20247fc753c3e8bed766b0cd04e6
>>
>> Please follow the test procedure before voting:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.0+test+procedure
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Happy voting,
>>
>> --Alex
>>

> Alex,
>
> A couple of issues.
>
> First, we shouldn't be voting on the "beta" release artifacts.  I need
> to cut a proper 4.0.0 build for us to vote on.
>
> Second, there are still several bugs that I consider to be blockers
> outstanding right now.
>
> Unfortunately, my vote is -1 for this VOTE thread, based on the reasons above.

Adding specifics:

Blockers:
CLOUDSTACK-263
CLOUDSTACK-260
CLOUDSTACK-259
CLOUDSTACK-257
CLOUDSTACK-248

Critical (IMO should be resolved for 4.0.0):
CLOUDSTACK-264
CLOUDSTACK-216

Also Critical, but should be triaged:  CLOUDSTACK-267

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/10/2012, at 2:23 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> On 06/10/2012, at 12:54 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Please follow the test procedure before voting:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.0+test+procedure
>>
>> I noticed the instructions rely on importing keys from a key server, after downloading the KEYS file. Wouldn't it be better to import the KEYS file directly instead?
>
> Brett,
>
> I followed the CouchDB test procedure document [1] as the template for
> that verification step.  Is it more common to use the KEYS file?

The doc says...

"You will need to import the keys into your local keychain before you can continue.

You can do this manually, from the KEYS file.

Or, you can import them from a public key server:"

There is more info here: http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing#public-key-not-found

If you download from a key server, you need to trust it and check the fingerprint matches. Importing the keys file is typically quicker and more trustworthy.

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
*Columbo voice*

One more thing! Alex, as RM, you should probably wrap this thread up with
something like:

I am aborting this round.

I will start round two once the outstanding issues have been addressed.

Thank you for participating!

--
NS

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

--
NS

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> On 06/10/2012, at 12:54 AM, Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Please follow the test procedure before voting:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.0+test+procedure
>>
>> I noticed the instructions rely on importing keys from a key server, after downloading the KEYS file. Wouldn't it be better to import the KEYS file directly instead?
>
> Brett,
>
> I followed the CouchDB test procedure document [1] as the template for
> that verification step.  Is it more common to use the KEYS file?
>
> -chip
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

I also note that the httpd project suggests the key server as well:

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/verification.html

However, I have updated the instructions to include the option of
importing from the KEYS file as well.

Thanks for pointing this out!

-chip

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 06/10/2012, at 12:57 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 10/05/2012 04:54 PM, Alex Huang wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CloudStack 4.0.0 release, first round.
>>
>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
>> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is
>> made. Everyone is free to vote on this release.
>>
>> We are voting on the beta6 release artifacts available under:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/cloudstack/4.0/
>>

> I've just build and pushed the Debian packages to cloudstack.apt-get.eu, these can be used for easier testing.

Just to clarify - while these are certainly convenient for testing and reporting issues leading up to a vote, they aren't suitable for basing a vote on - that needs to be about the source code being released from ASF hardware.

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] CloudStack Release 4.0, first round

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
On 10/05/2012 04:54 PM, Alex Huang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CloudStack 4.0.0 release, first round.

> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is
> made. Everyone is free to vote on this release.
>
> We are voting on the beta6 release artifacts available under:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~chipchilders/cloudstack/4.0/

I've just build and pushed the Debian packages to cloudstack.apt-get.eu,
these can be used for easier testing.

Wido