Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Gleb Kanterov <gl...@spotify.com> on 2018/12/28 13:59:16 UTC

Adding ":beam-runners-direct-java:needsRunnerTests" to "Run Java PreCommit"

After reading Beam Testing <https://beam.apache.org/contribute/testing/> I
had an impression that NeedsRunner tests are executed as a part of Java
PreCommit using Direct runner. However, it doesn't seem to be the case.
I've tried running these tests locally, and few of them are failing or
timeout.

My proposal is adding ":beam-runners-direct-java:needsRunnerTests" to "Run
Java PreCommit" Jenkins job, or running them in parallel as a part of a new
task, not to increase build time. Running needsRunnerTests on my laptop
took 3 minutes, so I just lean towards adding them to javaPreCommit.
Thoughts?

> Task :beam-runners-direct-java:needsRunnerTests

org.apache.beam.runners.core.metrics.MetricsPusherTest > test FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError at MetricsPusherTest.java:71

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.TFRecordIOTest > testReadInvalidDataMask FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.TFRecordIOTest > testReadInvalidLengthMask FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.AvroIOTest$NeedsRunnerTests >
testContinuouslyWriteAndReadMultipleFilepatterns[0: true] FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at AvroIOTest.java:557

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.AvroIOTest$NeedsRunnerTests >
testWriteThenReadJavaClass[0: true] FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError at AvroIOTest.java:306

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.AvroIOTest$NeedsRunnerTests >
testContinuouslyWriteAndReadMultipleFilepatterns[1: false] FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at AvroIOTest.java:557

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.AvroIOTest$NeedsRunnerTests >
testWriteThenReadJavaClass[1: false] FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError at AvroIOTest.java:306

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.FileIOTest > testMatchWatchForNewFiles FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at FileIOTest.java:192

org.apache.beam.sdk.io.TextIOReadTest$BasicIOTest >
testReadWatchForNewFiles FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at TextIOReadTest.java:846

org.apache.beam.sdk.schemas.transforms.CastTest > testTypeNarrowFail FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError

org.apache.beam.sdk.schemas.transforms.CastTest > testWeakedNullableFail
FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.SplittableDoFnTest > testBoundedness FAILED
    org.apache.beam.sdk.testing.TestPipeline$PipelineRunMissingException

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.SplittableDoFnTest > testLateData FAILED
    org.junit.runners.model.TestTimedOutException at
SplittableDoFnTest.java:683

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest >
testSinglePollMultipleInputsWithSideInput FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:112

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest >
testMultiplePollsWithKeyExtractor FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:203

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest > testSinglePollMultipleInputs
FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:82

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest >
testMultiplePollsWithTerminationDueToTerminationCondition FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:150

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest > testMultiplePollsWithManyResults
FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:308

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest > testSinglePollWithManyResults
FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:258

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest >
testMultiplePollsStopAfterTimeSinceNewOutput FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:232

org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms.WatchTest >
testMultiplePollsWithTerminationBecauseOutputIsFinal FAILED
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException at WatchTest.java:150

647 tests completed, 21 failed, 4 skipped

Re: Adding ":beam-runners-direct-java:needsRunnerTests" to "Run Java PreCommit"

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Perhaps the intent was that :beam-sdks-java-core:buildDependents would
launch this. In any case, explicit > implicit. But we do depend on this to
avoid making changes to the Java SDK that would break other parts of the
project. If non-default Test configurations are not running, I worry about
other modules.

Kenn

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Gleb Kanterov <gl...@spotify.com>.
I looked into failing tests, we can put them into 5 categories:
- CastTest, invalid test case, fixed in apache/beam#7372
<https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/7372>
- UsesMetricsPusher tests running with direct-runner, attempted to fix in
apache/beam#7374 <https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/7374/commits>
<https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6467>

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.