Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/03/23 09:19:13 UTC

.exp and .def files management

As I'm applying the fixes for aix build, I'd like to cleanup WrapXS.pm not to
create/install .exp and .def files on platforms where they aren't needed.

So is this correct that .exp are needed only on AIX and .def on win32?

WrapXS.pm:generate
     $self->write_export_file('exp') if $^O eq 'aix';
     $self->write_export_file('def'); #XXX if $^O eq 'Win32'

can we s/; #XXX//; here?

I've written a small package Devel::FakeOSName which you can use as:

perl -MDevel::FakeOSName=aix Makefile.PL ...

which will make $^O and $Config::Config{osname} return 'aix' (no matter what
the real platform is), so this is a better way to test other platforms if
needed. Hopefully I'll put it on CPAN soon.

Also, Randy, do we need to install .def files so the XS extensions can be
built on win32?

I'll soon release a new Apache::Peek so we can test what's needed to build 3rd
party modules which rely on xs code, referencing mod_perl api.

Re: .exp and .def files management

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>As I'm applying the fixes for aix build, I'd like to cleanup WrapXS.pm not to
>>create/install .exp and .def files on platforms where they aren't needed.
>
> [ .. ]
>
>>Also, Randy, do we need to install .def files so the XS extensions can be
>>built on win32?
>

> The .def files are needed on Win32 (and on a couple of other
> platforms, I believe) as a way to define, when building, what
> symbols to put in the library that's being created. So I don't
> think they need be installed (at least on Win32), except possibly
> for convenience in seeing what was used to build the library
> (but for that there's other tools).

So they are not needed when building extensions. Cool. Thanks Randy.

But the .exp equivalents are probably needed for aix. I'll test that soon.

Re: .exp and .def files management

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

--
best regards,