Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Jonathan Vila Lopez <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/01 21:06:20 UTC

Greetings and IRC consult

Hi all

As I'm new to this mail list ( and to Sling also ) I say hello to everybody.

I usually go to IRC channels for other Apache projects ( Apache Camel,
Apache Karaf ) because it's a quick way to get help and to provide it
also.... but I havent found any IRC channel for Sling users. Is there any
one out there ? If not, do you think it would be great to create one ?

Best regards.

[image: Inline image 2]

* Jonathan Vila    ** <https://www.twitter.com/jonathan_vila>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanvila>*

* jonathan.vila@gmail.com <jo...@gmail.com>*
*​BarcelonaJUG organizer​*

Re: Greetings and IRC consult

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com> wrote:
> ...It's not like I don't think a community "can" happen out of this mailing list. It's that I
> don't believe that it has happened for Sling yet....

I tend to agree, but given the current small size of the Sling
community, scattering communications channels might not help. People
starting to talk more here would help more IMO.

-Bertrand

RE: Greetings and IRC consult

Posted by Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com>.
That's an interesting question. It's not like I don't think a community "can" happen out of this mailing list. It's that I don't believe that it has happened for Sling yet.

I don't know why.

I've been hovering around this group for a while, and although there is a respectable number of questions that come in, and as you mentioned there is some willingness from the developers to answer. There seems to be something missing. Maybe a sense of engagement that, to me, signifies a community.

-Jason

> ...anything that could actually create an actual sling community would be a positive step....

Why do you think such a community cannot happen here?

Questions and discussions are welcome, we do our best to reply, and the asynchronous nature of our lists works well for the current community, IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: Greetings and IRC consult

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com>.
Although I don’t use IRC that much myself, I think anything that could actually create an actual sling community would be a positive step.

As I'm new to this mail list ( and to Sling also ) I say hello to everybody.

I usually go to IRC channels for other Apache projects ( Apache Camel, Apache Karaf ) because it's a quick way to get help and to provide it also.... but I havent found any IRC channel for Sling users. Is there any one out there ? If not, do you think it would be great to create one ?

Best regards.

[Inline image 2]

 Jonathan Vila    [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/twitter.png] <https://www.twitter.com/jonathan_vila>  [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanvila>
 jonathan.vila@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>

Posted by Dominik Süß <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

although you are right that chats tend to provide answers faster they have
a significant  disadvantage: they are not archived by default - and even
if  you set up an archive you don't have threads that you can look up.

The sling community is pretty active in answering within a short period of
time for any question comming in via dev or user list so I do not really
see a strong need for a chat where questions would be asked over and over
again as they where not found.  The public Apache mailinglists are all
archived (e.g. via markmail) and should help you in a lot of cases even
without the need to wait for anybody to look into the issue being hit.

Other ways to support the community are looking out for questions at
stackoverflow, and helping to answer questions esp. here in the users list.

This is just my own oppinion on chat for technical support, maybe others
think different.

Cheers
Dominik

Posted by Sabyasachi Mukherjee <sa...@gmail.com>.