Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by stev sutherland <st...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/06 18:34:02 UTC

What is my SSL-aware virtual host

Hi Tomcat Experts;

I read some directions that says

"The interaction between SSL and HTTP/1.1 features are
problematic with some MSIE versions, too. You've to
work-around these problems by forcing
Apache+mod_ssl+OpenSSL to not use HTTP/1.1, keep-alive
connections or sending the SSL close notify messages
to MSIE clients. This can be done by using the
following directive in your SSL-aware virtual host
section:
    SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
             nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
             downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
"

My question is which file is my SSL-aware virtual host
in tomcat 3.2.3? and is this the exact syntax that I
would use with tomcat 3.2.3

Re: What is my SSL-aware virtual host

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"stev sutherland" <st...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tomcat Experts;
>
> I read some directions that says
>
> "The interaction between SSL and HTTP/1.1 features are
> problematic with some MSIE versions, too. You've to
> work-around these problems by forcing
> Apache+mod_ssl+OpenSSL to not use HTTP/1.1, keep-alive
> connections or sending the SSL close notify messages
> to MSIE clients. This can be done by using the
> following directive in your SSL-aware virtual host
> section:
>     SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
>              nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>              downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
> "

Somewhat outdated.  MSIE > 4 don't seem to have a problem.

> My question is which file is my SSL-aware virtual host
> in tomcat 3.2.3? and is this the exact syntax that I
> would use with tomcat 3.2.3

With 3.2.x you are SOL.  From >= 3.3.x there is currently a prototype of
code to handle user-agent problems in the CoyoteConnector.  However, from TC
3.3.x-5.0.x it is still not fully functional.

Posted by Andoni <an...@indigo.ie>.
This line goes into the <VirtualHost> section in httpd.conf or the relevant
file that you are using to configure apache.

It is not understood by Tomcat.

This only affects MSIE 4 beta 2  (V.Rare).

Andoni.