Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Matthias Niederhausen <ma...@t-systems-mms.com> on 2013/03/26 09:19:40 UTC

Evaluation results for Rave

Hello,

it's been quiet for a while from our side, but we have conducted another end
user study featuring Rave (for internal reasons, it had to be version 0.17)
in the Omelette project [1]. The study was conducted in both China and
Germany and offers much more detailed figures than the last one [2], which
was dedicated to usability only.

I have now published a condensed report [3] at Google Docs for you, the Rave
community. The document reports on findings for:

- Inter Widget Communication

- Device Adaptivity

- Overall usefulness

- Ethnic Background

- General Findings and Usability Problems

In the end, a number of suggestions are given from our perspective, but also
some user suggestions have been transcribed.

I hope that this work helps you to make Rave even better! Again, if you have
any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. We are also currently setting up
another (final) round of evaluation, so if there are any parts in particular
that you think should be tested by end users, kindly make a suggestion and I
will see what I can do to include this in the new study.

All the best,

Matthias

[1]  <http://www.ict-omelette.eu/objectives> http://www.ict-omelette.eu/

[2] https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-a9jhuDMF3tYlFZT1pQQ25FM0k/edit

[3]
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SldJT1NwWmY6i9_58YIi6inrPYEdj5ZN-dtDNpX
o-N0/edit?usp=sharing>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SldJT1NwWmY6i9_58YIi6inrPYEdj5ZN-dtDNpXo
-N0/edit?usp=sharing

---

Dipl.-Medieninf. Matthias Niederhausen

T-Systems Multimedia Solutions GmbH

CU Innovation Services

Phone: +49 351 2820 2099

E-Mail: mtni@mms-dresden.de

---

T-Systems Multimedia Solutions GmbH

Commercial register: Municipal Court Dresden HRB 11433

Re: Evaluation results for Rave

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Matthias Niederhausen
<ma...@t-systems-mms.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> it's been quiet for a while from our side, but we have conducted another end
> user study featuring Rave (for internal reasons, it had to be version 0.17)
> in the Omelette project [1]. The study was conducted in both China and
> Germany and offers much more detailed figures than the last one [2], which
> was dedicated to usability only.
>
> I have now published a condensed report [3] at Google Docs for you, the Rave
> community. The document reports on findings for:
>

> - Inter Widget Communication
>
> - Device Adaptivity
>
> - Overall usefulness
>
> - Ethnic Background
>
> - General Findings and Usability Problems
>

> In the end, a number of suggestions are given from our perspective, but also
> some user suggestions have been transcribed.
>

> I hope that this work helps you to make Rave even better! Again, if you have
> any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. We are also currently setting up
> another (final) round of evaluation, so if there are any parts in particular
> that you think should be tested by end users, kindly make a suggestion and I
> will see what I can do to include this in the new study.

Thanks Matthias!  I am sure there is plenty of great info in the
report that we can use as we start to refactor the front-end.

Posted by "Drozdetski, Stan A." <dr...@mitre.org>.
Thanks John - please feel free to either link them to the umbrella ticket, or create them as sub-tasks (just so that we maintain the connection).

Good point re: bugs vs enhancements. We should be consistent about using JIRA issue types ("bug" vs "improvement"), and assign priority accordingly.

Stan Drozdetski
MITRE

Posted by John Dewsnap <jo...@gmail.com>.
Stan,

AW: Evaluation results for Rave

Posted by Matthias Niederhausen <mt...@mms-dresden.de>.
Glad that I can help and that the report is so appreciated!
I have now added the most important issues as sub-tasks (don't know how to
specify a sub-task as bug or feature).
Next week, I will add some more.

Have a nice Easter holiday,
Matthias

---

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

These usability studies are a fantastic way for projects like Omelette to contribute to open source projects - thanks for sharing your results!