Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Steve Mactaggart <st...@golftime.com.au> on 2004/05/18 03:12:30 UTC

DailyRollingFileAppender NPE

Hey all,

I have just got the latest from CVS to start working on the
EnhancedHTMLLayout suggested last week.

2 Things I have noticed:
	- The current CVS version is NOT backwards compatible with 1.2.8,
	  I was wondering why not?  I have written a few appenders myself
that required changes, but as I won't be using 1.3 for my production system
I don't want to have to change my code just to get it to compile under 1.3
(for HTMLLayout testing).

	- Seems to be a problem with the DailyRollingFileAppender, when
running it I get the following error.

log4j:ERROR Could not create an Appender. Reported error follows.
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.activateOptions(DailyRollingFileAp
pender.java:211)
        at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:228)
        at
org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java
:154)

I assume the NPE is created in the "sdf.format(new
Date(file.lastModified()))" section of line 221, as sdf is never initalised
anywhere.

I noticed a commented out line
205:	      //sdf = new SimpleDateFormat(datePattern);

Is there a reason this is commented out? Or am I missing something obvious.

Thanks

Steve Mactaggart
Systems Architect
Golftime International