Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Hugi Þórðarson <hu...@icloud.com> on 2017/03/13 13:41:42 UTC

Bug when doing joint prefetching on a to-many relationship using a fetch limit?

Hi all.
I’m getting some unexpected behaviour when applying a fetch limit and doing joint prefetching on a to-many relationship. In short, the number of objects returned is always lower than the actual fetch limit I set. Problem goes away if I do a disjoint prefetch or no prefetching at all.

I created a tiny self-contained maven project that demonstrates the problem:

https://bitbucket.org/hugi/prefetch-dilemma

The source for the main class in that project (that can be run to show what happens):

https://bitbucket.org/hugi/prefetch-dilemma/src/master/src/main/java/prefetchdilemma/Main.java

Anyone run into this before?

Cheers,
- hugi

Re: Bug when doing joint prefetching on a to-many relationship using a fetch limit?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Mar 31, 2017, at 1:03 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hu...@godurkodi.is> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrus, sorry about the belated reply.
>
>>> Hi all.
>>> I’m getting some unexpected behaviour when applying a fetch limit and doing joint prefetching on a to-many relationship. In short, the number of objects returned is always lower than the actual fetch limit I set. Problem goes away if I do a disjoint prefetch or no prefetching at all.
>>>
>>> I created a tiny self-contained maven project that demonstrates the problem:
>>>
>>> https://bitbucket.org/hugi/prefetch-dilemma
>>>
>>> The source for the main class in that project (that can be run to show what happens):
>>>
>>> https://bitbucket.org/hugi/prefetch-dilemma/src/master/src/main/java/prefetchdilemma/Main.java
>>>
>>> Anyone run into this before?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> - hugi
>>

>> Yeah, that's a limitation described here: [1]. Also mentioned in the docs, though it may be hard to spot [2]:
>>
>> "Disjoint-by-ID Prefetching Semantics [..] Moreover this is the only type of prefetch that can handle SelectQueries with fetch limit. Both joint and regular disjoint prefetches may produce invalid results or generate inefficient fetch-the-entire table SQL when fetch limit is in effect.”
>
> Maybe Cayenne should throw an exception (or log a warning) if prefetch semantics other than Disjoint-by-ID is used with a fetch limit? This is something I can see users burning themselves on (I know I did).
>
> Cheers,
> - hugi

I'd go with a warning initially. Though we will need to identify all specific cases to print it. E.g. "fetchLimit|offset + joint + to-many".

Andrus

Re: Bug when doing joint prefetching on a to-many relationship using a fetch limit?

Posted by Hugi Thordarson <hu...@godurkodi.is>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Mar 13, 2017, at 4:41 PM, Hugi Þórðarson <hu...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
> I’m getting some unexpected behaviour when applying a fetch limit and doing joint prefetching on a to-many relationship. In short, the number of objects returned is always lower than the actual fetch limit I set. Problem goes away if I do a disjoint prefetch or no prefetching at all.
>
> I created a tiny self-contained maven project that demonstrates the problem:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/hugi/prefetch-dilemma
>
> The source for the main class in that project (that can be run to show what happens):
>
> https://bitbucket.org/hugi/prefetch-dilemma/src/master/src/main/java/prefetchdilemma/Main.java
>
> Anyone run into this before?
>
> Cheers,
> - hugi

Yeah, that's a limitation described here: [1]. Also mentioned in the docs, though it may be hard to spot [2]:

"Disjoint-by-ID Prefetching Semantics [..] Moreover this is the only type of prefetch that can handle SelectQueries with fetch limit. Both joint and regular disjoint prefetches may produce invalid results or generate inefficient fetch-the-entire table SQL when fetch limit is in effect."

Andrus

Andrus Adamchik
Twitter: @andrus_a
https://objectstyle.com/apache-cayenne-training